Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How to serve hot drinks...

Hi,

I am having a cookie exchange this year and wanted to do at least one hot drink...either a mulled wine or cider, or hot chocolate.  I'm not sure how to serve this...at first I thought I could put it in a slow cooker, but I will be using my slow cooker for cocktail meatballs during the party.

I'm also not sure what other beverages to serve....milk?  soda?  Not sure what goes with a cookie theme.  It will be at 3pm, so I probably won't have alcohol (unless I do a mulled wine) 

thoughts?

Re: How to serve hot drinks...

•  

I'd either do slow cooker, or a large kettle tea pot. If you did cider or even Russian Tea mix (the kind with tang, lemonade, cinnamon, etc) you could have it prepped easily in a tea pot....and it only takes a few minutes for water or cider to boil.

Also, if you did one of those options -you could do a hot cocoa type beverage....

Here is an easy one (that is really really rich and excellent with cookies)

Make a pot of coffee or french press (preferred) set aside.

Try 1 cup of 2% milk (or really rich - 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup 2% milk..(I find 2% works just great) - in a small sauce pan - take chocolate/caramel ghiradelli squares (4-5 depending on how chocolatey) - cut them in quarters...put in sauce pan-bring to just a boil-whisking whole time...

Put half the mixture in 2-3 mugs (try this version first to see if you love it) then add accordingly for larger group)  - then add half of the coffee....stir, top with redi-whip and caramel sundae ice cream sauce. This is BETTER than caramel mochas, etc. that you get from the coffee shops! It's really ez too!

• You can get relatively cheap thermal carafes (the white banquet kind) at places like Sams Club, Walmart, etc.  Or if you wanted to spend more, you could get one of those electric beverage dispensers with the spout.  Without spending money, you could just keep it in a big pot on the stove top.

Oh, also, I love the idea of a coffee/hot cocoa bar, a pot of coffee and a pot of cocoa with lots of different toppings and stir-ins.  You could even do a liquer or two (Kahlua, Baileys, Peppermint Schnapps).

• Ooh KoCo - that DOES sound like a great idea! That would be lots of fun and who knows.....for those don't like coffee, most love cocoa-and if you did the prep, you're catering to those types. Those that do not -it'd be just as easy to have a nice assortment of tea packets..than you could put lemon, sugar, crystallized sugar, peppermint sticks..and for my group, I would have to liquor! Great idea...
  • I would check out a Smart and Final if there is one near you. They sell Hot/Cold Air Pots for about $40 and the also have the carafes.
  • that sounds freaking amazing......
  • I love the coffee/hot cocoa bar idea!!!! That's awesome!
  • I am doing a Hot Chocolate/Coffee Bar on Sunday for an ornament party. I posted for topping ideas last week. There is a great list in it, I will see if I can find the link.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wish I was going to a party with a coffee/cocoa bar now, sounds too fun!
  • Hot cocoa bar for sure!