Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Su Challenge - 25pt tasks?

Since it seems like noone else has volunteered to round up some 25 pt ideas for the summer book challenge (correct me if someone else has already done this!) I'll get the ball rolling.

As the challenge starts tomorrow let's open the floor up for ideas from anyone so let's hear them :)

One idea I had was to read a book about a faith/belief system different from yours. The book could be fiction or nonfiction. It also counts if the main character is of a faith different from yours. After you finish post on the board your thoughts, especially how this book challenged (or didn't) your thoughts/beliefs.

Re: Su Challenge - 25pt tasks?

• So we're not going with people who finished?
    My Polymind (books, being green, random stuff)
  • image pirogoeth:
    So we're not going with people who finished?

I think it should be from people who finished. It was all participants last time, right? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    image image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Oh fiddle! I have been so overwhelmed lately I forgot. Following the short challenge 5 finishers are randomly selected to choose the 5-25 or tasks for the next challenge. 

If any SBC finishers want to post their ideas we can get the ball rolling.  

DD born 1.25.15

• image aggiebug:

Oh fiddle! I have been so overwhelmed lately I forgot. Following the short challenge 5 finishers are randomly selected to choose the 5-25 or tasks for the next challenge. 

Yay!  I finally get to put my challenge out there!

Read two manga, one meant for guys (shonen or seinen) and one meant for gals (shojo or josei).  Post whether you liked the guys or the gals more and why.
    The links lead to Wikipedia lists of titles for each category.  Libraries are increasing the amount of manga they have, and there are websites like MangaFox and MangaReader.net that have legal translations of manga that aren't available here in the US.  It's really easy now to be able to read manga.

• image aggiebug:

Oh fiddle! I have been so overwhelmed lately I forgot. Following the short challenge 5 finishers are randomly selected to choose the 5-25 or tasks for the next challenge. 

Sounds good! I apologize for opening it up to anyone, I was just trying to get the ball rolling and I figured challenges from everyone were better than challenges from no one :) But I'm glad that the ideas are coming in now!

• image sonore32:
    image aggiebug:

Sounds good! I apologize for opening it up to anyone, I was just trying to get the ball rolling and I figured challenges from everyone were better than challenges from no one :) But I'm glad that the ideas are coming in now!

oh no worries.  Thank you for bringing up the topic.  Hopefully by the end of the week it will be squared away. 

DD born 1.25.15

• Read a book that has been turned into a Broadway play/musical.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Read a book by an author that has been a contributor to NPR's This American Life.  The book doesn't actually have to be the one that was on the show, just the author.  So any David Sedaris book would work for example. 

Here's a list of some of the books that have been on the show to get you started: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/17903.This_American_Life

And this is a list of all the contributors: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/contributor

Kristen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Read a book whose title employs a poetic device (alliteration, assonance, consonance, rhyme)
  • How many people finished?
  • image pirogoeth:
    How many people finished?

I haven't seen the final scoreboard to know. The short ones usually have quite a few.  

DD born 1.25.15

• My unoriginal suggestion courtesy of Buzzfeed... Read one of the books from the '90s on this list:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/quintessential-90s-books

my read shelf:
    Jenn's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)