Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Possible American Gods Show on HBO

Story here

It?s Official: AMERICAN GODS to run 6 seasons on HBO

Drop everything but your pants!

The wonderful bestselling novel by uber-cool novelist Neil Gaiman is now officially in the pipeline for production on HBO, possibly debuting as early as 2013, according to this article from screenrant.com. The show will have a budget of $40 million and will rely heavily upon CGI effects.

The novel chronicles a confrontation among ancient gods who have returned to earth in anthropomorphic form and are suffering from a loss of faith within humanity. Interestingly, the novel has been discussed among some contemporary heathens as an inspiring text which has led to a more widespread revival in heathen beliefs, perhaps due to the compelling characterization of Odin.

No announcements have been made yet on possible casting. However, at least one fan has made a stab at at assembling a dream cast.

An update on the production appears here; apparently plans continue apace but it is no longer clear if the show will debut in 2013.

MORE UPDATES as of June 29th, 2013:  This article from Empire Online states the series has been given the green light, but commenters insist Neil Gaiman has said via Twitter that this is uncomfirmed.

my read shelf:
Sarah (mrs.vedo)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Possible American Gods Show on HBO

• This seems odd to me, mainly because they're claiming it's been greenlighted for SIX seasons. Nothing gets that much buy up front. A FB friend posted the link and seemed excited. Thoughts?

my read shelf:
    Sarah (mrs.vedo)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I heard about this, but I don't see it coming out in 2013, since they haven't announced an official cast yet.
  • Jen748Jen748 member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    He just tweeted that it isn't true.
    Sammie born 04/23/09 (Peanut allergy)
    Emmett born 01/28/2013

2015 Books Read 3 * 2014 Books Read: 151
    2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125
    2011 Books Read: 150  * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read ~~~ Presidential Challenge
  • GilliCGilliC member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

I just finished the book today, and even if it was true, I can't really see it making a good screen adaptation (big or small). It seems way too subtle and introspective to translate well.

...but I'm also terrified of what they're doing with Ender's Game. Maybe I'll be surprised. 

• Whether this is true or not, I can't see just that book running 6 seasons of story.  I feel like the beginning would follow the book, but then the show would spin the characters off in completely different directions, the way that Dexter did.  Season 1 of Dexter followed the first book fairly accurately, but after that the show bore absolutely no resemblance to the books at all.  To turn American Gods into 6 seasons of television, I think they would have to do the same thing.