Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Giving up on a book

I am struggling with Storm of Swords, but I'm trying to power through. How far into a book do you give yourself before throwing in the towel?

BabyFruit Ticker

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Ingrid has read 44 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Re: Giving up on a book

• GilliCGilliC member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

Surprise I had to go look it up to make sure that was the one I thought it was!  Don't give up on it.  It starts out kind of slow, but OMG!!!!!  This is the best one of the series!

Give up on the next one! Wink

• GilliCGilliC member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

Oh, and to actually answer your question, the last book I wanted to give up after the introduction, because I hated it so much.  I decided to at least read the first chapter.  I still hated it, so I quit.

I've never given up on a book for being slow, though.  Usually I either muscle through the rest quickly or set them aside and come back to them later.

• I doubt my advice will help. But I have a bad (to others) habit of reading endings. So if I don't care for the ending AND it's slow I'll quit. I have too many books I want to read to bother with books I'm not enjoying. If I like the ending I tend to start skimming to get the gist. If it starts to pick up I'll go back to reading. 

Short answer I don't have a set number of pages before I quit.  

• I give up on books a lot, though I usually try to put them aside for a while, since it's often just the mood I'm in.  If you don't like it, though, don't suffer through it.
  • I can almost NEVER bring myself to do this.

And you should definitely keep going with SoS, there is soooo much that happens in the second half of the book!

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• i give up when i jsut can't take any more----be it page 30 or 3000
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image alithebride:
    i give up when i just can't take any more----be it page 30 or 3000

Same. But I will TRY to at least give it 100 pages. 

Our TTC Journey

8/06 - Start dating DH 10/09 - Engaged! 08/10 - Married!

3/11 - TTC begins. Me: 27 DH: 34

8/11 - Me: Stage IV Endometriosis DH: Perfect!

9/11 - 1st RE appt & HSG: Tubes are clear!

10/11 - Surgery: Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy. Only option of conceiving is IUI/IVF

IUI #1 & #2-BFN IVF #1: 2 Grade 1 embryos. BFFN.

Pursuing domestic infant adoption & my heart is full with possibility!

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/afg1g5.jpg[/IMG]

<A href=http://ourstoryreadslove.blogspot.com//>My Blog</A>
  • I very rarely will not finish a book, which is why I'm always wary of starting a series or long book. But for me not to finish, it depends on the book. If it is a longer book, I will probably give up sooner. If it is a shorter book, however, I force myself to just finish it. 

Typically I like to at least get halfway through, but if it is a big, chunky, thousand-pager, I'll probably give it 200 pages or so before giving up. 

• image alithebride:
    i give up when i jsut can't take any more----be it page 30 or 3000

This is me too. Life's too short to read a bad book! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    image image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • image uneek1323:

image alithebride:
    i give up when i jsut can't take any more----be it page 30 or 3000

This is me too. Life's too short to read a bad book! 

I like that attitude! I usually muscle through - even when I'm hating it, because I want to see if it redeems itself, or maybe I just want to see how it all ends up. Like, will it go as predictably as I expect, lol. (This was me with One Second After, which I truly badly disliked.) I did give up on World War Z this year, because I just couldn't take it anymore! 

(Ignore the lack of formatting; for some reason I can't get the italics to take.)  

• kipnuskipnus member
    Ancient Membership 100 Comments 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    It is extremely rare for me to give up on a book. The last book I didn't finish was My Husband and My Wives: A Gay Man's Odyssey. My book club had high hopes for it, but I found it unnecessarily explicit, lacking in humour, and quite frankly, the author just came across as a very unlikable person. I made it through a few chapters before deciding I just didn't want to spend any more time on it.
  • image GilliC:

Surprise I had to go look it up to make sure that was the one I thought it was!  Don't give up on it.  It starts out kind of slow, but OMG!!!!!  This is the best one of the series!

Give up on the next one! Wink

Same here. I'll give up on a book if it's boring me, but this is the best of the series I've read so far. Seriously, the *** hits the fan in this book. Finish this one and give up on the next one. Wink

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.