Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Fishy Amazon reviews?

I was looking at today's Kindle Daily Deals, and one is Extinction Point by Paul Antony Jones:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095VLIME/

I noticed that it had 569 Amazon reviews, which is a lot. Since I didn't recognize the title, I went to look it up on Goodreads to see what people were saying about it, and to my surprise Goodreads only has 547 ratings for it!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13509631-extinction-point 

So among the avid Goodreads user base, less than 550 people have pushed the button to give it a star rating, but more than that many have taken the time to write a review on Amazon?!

Am I missing something here?!

Even if it was the author/publisher's marketing campaign, how the heck did they get 569 unique reviews?  100 I could understand, but 500 is crazy!  Even if it was on the free Kindle list for months, that still doesn't net 500 reviews!  Did they pay people to review it or something?

Re: Fishy Amazon reviews?

• Maybe the publisher gave away the Kindle version in hopes of spurring interest for a subsequent book. That would lead to an influx in Amazon reviews but not necessarily GR ratings. Despite GR's massive numbers, most of my IRL friends don't know it exists.  

I wrote this! 
  • imagetaylormillgirl:
    Maybe the publisher gave away the Kindle version in hopes of spurring interest for a subsequent book. That would lead to an influx in Amazon reviews but not necessarily GR ratings. Despite GR's massive numbers, most of my IRL friends don't know it exists.  

I totally agree about IRL friends not knowing about GR. Even my friends who really like to read don't seem to know anything about it and are surprised I  keep track of what I read on a website.

• I didn't really mean to imply that Goodreads was an authority.  More that 569 is an awfully high review count for a book I've never heard of.  It's almost as many as Mr.Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore or Bring Up the Bodies.

Usually if a book can garner that many reviews on Amazon, it's relatively well-known and thus, statistically-speaking, quite a few people will have rated it on Goodreads or another site.

I've definitely seen cases where they gave away lots of free Kindle copies, but I've never seen one of those go above 150 or 200 reviews (except Wool by Hugh Howey, but even that has thousands of Goodreads ratings to go along with it).

...Okay, I take it back.  There's one on the free list right now (and has been there for a while) that has over 1000 reviews!