Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sometimes I feel like I turn into an idiot when packing

We are going to Hong Kong in two weeks. I am not packing yet but I am trying to get a rough idea of what I will bring for 10 days. We are only bringing one larger suitcase for DH me and our 6 and 4yo!  The weather is supposed to be 63 with rain twice this week and 68-73 the rest of the week with lows between 57 and 57.  All of the sudden I have no clue what warm temperatures are like since it is winter here lol. Not really looking for advice I am really just venting about packing. 
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Sometimes I feel like I turn into an idiot when packing

• I don't mind packing clothes... I just hate packing toiletries.  Hence?  I keep a couple of cosmetics bags packed all year round for us. 

Have fun in HK!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (sGpn)

• Why only one large suitcase for all of you?  That seems unnecessarily difficult.
  • image DaringMiss:
    Why only one large suitcase for all of you?  That seems unnecessarily difficult.

I should have really states that we will all have one carry-on but i am trying not to being more than one actual suitcase. I cannot do it I will add another carry-on. The kids will have their little kid suitcases for on the plane and those will be filled with any of the junk or stuffed animals they want to bring on the plane lus a change of clothes. DH will have a backpack with snacks iPad change of clothes etc. I will have my camera bag. Then we will check the large suitcase with our clothes shoes and toiletries. When we went to England last year we brought two big suitcases but we put a high back booster in one so there was not a ton of room left in that one. I am pretty good at packing but trips like this were the weather fluxuates is so much harder for me than going to Orlando in the summer or Aruba.  

Eta:  I am trying not to bring more luggage because 1 large luggage 1 umbrella 4 carry-on bags and two kids is a lot already. I cannot wait for DD to be willing to walk far so no stroller and for everyone to be fully able to be responsible for their own stuff because then we could all bring one normal size carry-on luggage each. 

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • image DaringMiss:
    Why only one large suitcase for all of you?  That seems unnecessarily difficult.

agree 

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image moroccojade:

I don't mind packing clothes... I just hate packing toiletries.  Hence?  I keep a couple of cosmetics bags packed all year round for us. 

Me too!  I always found that I was forgetting something, so I bought one extra of everything and keep my toiletry bag packed all the time.  Packing my toiletries now means: checking to see if the travel shampoo/conditioner bottles need to be refilled.

I also got frustrated when I forgot things for my carry-on, so I bought a dedicated carry-on tote that stays perma-packed and ready to go.

• Packing for four is so tricky! Especially with only one checked bag. Try to coordinate outfits with just one pair of shoes for each person so you don't have to pack extras. Also, carry jackets on, since it may rain. That will save some room. Good luck! 
  • What happens if your one suitcase is lost, redirected, or gets bumped to a different flight? At least make sure you have an extra outfit for each of you in carry on!!!