January 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Baby Shower Invites & Co-Workers

I have a quick question for all of you. The school I work at has a total of about 20 staff members. I have not heard anything yet about a shower being thrown at school (of course it would be a surprise anyway). I want to invite the staff members I am closest to: my grade partner, grade partner from the beginning of the year, the 3rd grade team (2 teachers), the female soccer coach (the other 2 coaches are male), and the one secretary (I am not close with the other one and I teach her child, so I feel it's conflict). I am split on inviting my principal, just because she is my boss. All that being said, I would be leaving out 6 female staff members. We are inviting a lot of family and I am not sure if there will be space for everyone, especially people I don't speak to or work with on a daily basis. What would you do? Help!

PS The shower is going to be at my home. My MIL is throwing it and I need to get her addresses. I've told the people so far at school to keep it HUSH HUSH.

Daisypath - (aAP5)image image Lilypie - (ox0D)

Re: Baby Shower Invites & Co-Workers

• I would say only invite the people you are closest with.  I would have invited my boss to mine but I'm decently close to her.  I didn't invite her because she was throwing me a shower at work.  I'm sure everyone would understand - at least they should.  Showers are usually limited by space.  Most of the people who were invited to my work shower I would not have invited to my personal shower because I'm not close to them and don't work with them on a daily basis. Not sure if that helps you.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image shellmaneth:
    I would say only invite the people you are closest with.  I would have invited my boss to mine but I'm decently close to her.  I didn't invite her because she was throwing me a shower at work.  I'm sure everyone would understand - at least they should.  Showers are usually limited by space.  Most of the people who were invited to my work shower I would not have invited to my personal shower because I'm not close to them and don't work with them on a daily basis. Not sure if that helps you.

Thanks! It helps! We have team meetings with 3rd grade and the one secretary is just GREAT. My principal's daugther sold us our nursery furniture for $500 and her other daugther is storing it until we move. My principal has also given me various amounts of maternity and baby clothes, etc.

• I personally would not invite any of my co-workers if I were you. People's feelings might be hurt if they are not invited. I think you should just leave them all out and hope that they throw you a work one. That's just my opinion.

Married the love of my life on 1-21-12. Our princess arrived on 5-28-13.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    imageimage"Image">image
  • I say invite who you want. If anyone actually questions why they weren't invited (probably not going to happen), but if it does, just say you were only able to invite so many people because you MIL only had so much room. I doubt anyone would question why they weren't invited. and if they do, just do what we all had to do about individuals who wanted to be invited to our wedding: family and close-friends only haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• image TaraW1979:
    I personally would not invite any of my co-workers if I were you. People's feelings might be hurt if they are not invited. I think you should just leave them all out and hope that they throw you a work one. That's just my opinion.

I agree with Tara on this one.  You don't want to get people's feelings at work hurt. Its all or nothing.  I just bank on people not making it and then there being extra room.  Is anyone throwing you a work shower?

• I think it all or nothing. What's did was created a sign and put it in the break room. Then people who didn't care did not feel quite as obligated to RSVP. Even if they did come it would be more gifts for your little one. Baby showers are all about gifts and getting what is on your registry. You could also just do your friends family and keep one for work separate.
  • I have no idea if they are planning a shower at work for me. I assume if there were it would be a surprise though. DH and I work at the same school, so I want to think they are, but who knows.

• I have no idea what to say. I think that you could invite your principal. But I don't know about inviting people from work. I know I wouldn't be hurt not to be invited to a baby shower of someone at work, even if others were. Now if we hung out in the same circle, and I wasn't invited I would be upset, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I like the idea of doing a group invitation, instead of more personal ones, that way, people can choose to come or not. But I would probably ask you husband his opinion, especially since he may know about a work shower.
    photo sig_zps7d54b52d.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFruit Ticker