Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How to stop harassing mother - moving

I've posted about my mother before. She's disrespectful, lies, ruins special occasions yet she is never to blame/never sees the error in her own ways even when called out on her actions. Our last conversation ended with me saying I will continue our relationship if she apologizes or agrees to go to therapy. She says she's been to therapy, she'd apologize for anything, but, "doesn't know what she's apologizing for/doesn't know what I'm talking about." I've since tried to cut ties: blocked her on facebook, changed my number. She still knows where I live (although I will be moving in March), and every 2 weeks I get some kind of "I miss you" card, the last 1 read simply, "I love you...past, present, future." My grandmother sends cards too, mostly calling me misguided. They end up right in the trash. If she sends another one, I'm tempted to write something on it like this:

"This is a written warning to stop these harassing letters"

Or is this stirring the pot? Should I just let it go, move and have her cards eventually returned to sender once I move? Also, I'm positive that other family members will request my new address and most likely forward this information to my mother. If people request it I think I'll just say that I'd be happy to have them over once we are settled...

Re: How to stop harassing mother - moving

• Don't reply.  ANY reaction tells her that she's getting through to you.

As for when you move - I'd ask family to not pass on your address, and really, I'd consider not giving it to grandma either.  But... I realize that this might not be realistic. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Ditto ECB. And please try and be honest with yourself. Your mom may never change, but the one thing that can change is how you react to her. Work on that and maybe then you can work on accepting your mom for who she really is. 
  • Yep. There is nothing more to be said.

Newsblackout from here on in.

And if it gets sticky -- and it might --- get an attorney to get her to cease and desisst.
  • I don't remember your previous posts, so I might be way off base if she's been really heinous.  It sounds like your mom has just been very self-centered, and I can understand why you wouldn't want to pursue a relationship with her or have regular contact with her, but do you want to permanently sever the relationship?

I think since they're just letters, you can just toss them as soon as you see them and ignore it.  If she was doing something truly intrusive like showing up at your house, calling you at work, etc. I could see taking a stronger stance, but threatening harassment seems to be taking it a little far and I think getting a lawyer or pursuing legal action would permanently end your relationship.

If her intrusiveness escalates, I think you can reevaluate the legal action and permanently severing your relationship.  For now, I would just ignore her and leave the door open for her to maybe start acting like an adult and maybe you can re-develop an adult relationship down the road. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Write return to sender and stick back in the mailbox
  • Ditto, ECB.

And it sounds like you've told your mother what you need from her in order to reestablish the relationship. I think you should stick to your guns and just do what's best/healthiest for you. Good Luck.  

• image ldmessing:
    Write return to sender and stick back in the mailbox

This. There's no law that says you're required to open your mail.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image 1026pumpkin:

I don't remember your previous posts, so I might be way off base if she's been really heinous.  It sounds like your mom has just been very self-centered, and I can understand why you wouldn't want to pursue a relationship with her or have regular contact with her, but do you want to permanently sever the relationship?

I think since they're just letters, you can just toss them as soon as you see them and ignore it.  If she was doing something truly intrusive like showing up at your house, calling you at work, etc. I could see taking a stronger stance, but threatening harassment seems to be taking it a little far and I think getting a lawyer or pursuing legal action would permanently end your relationship.

If her intrusiveness escalates, I think you can reevaluate the legal action and permanently severing your relationship.  For now, I would just ignore her and leave the door open for her to maybe start acting like an adult and maybe you can re-develop an adult relationship down the road. 

She's done both, they both ended badly

• image EastCoastBride:

Don't reply.  ANY reaction tells her that she's getting through to you.

As for when you move - I'd ask family to not pass on your address, and really, I'd consider not giving it to grandma either.  But... I realize that this might not be realistic. 

ECB are you a therapist? You give great advice, thanks :)

• why dont you write 'return to sender' on the envelopes and send them back unopened?
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • When you move, get a PO Box. Give only this address out as your mailing address. Even if it gets back to your mother and she sends more cards, at least she won't know your physical address.
    photo May2014.jpgphoto MomTatWhiteNew40.jpg
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    May 2014 November Siggy Challenge
    The Griswold’s Christmas Vacation
    photo GriswoldChristmas.jpg