January 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mark

How do we shop around for home loans.  We have a bank here in town and I know what they offered me, but is there anywhere else we should be looking?

Re: Mark

• I generally prefer credit unions if I can find them (which isn't hard).  They're generally less fee happy than actual banks and sometimes offer better interest rates.  That said, I've got mine through Chase.  I would have had it through Navy Federal Credit Union, but I was buying as the bubble was starting and they were swamped.

I also recommend keeping with a fixed rate mortgage.  The rates are a little higher than an adjustable, but the adjustable is just going to go up on you when the economy eventually gets better.

A lot of times, banks will also resell your loans after you take them out.  So something you might want to ask if who your servicer is is important to you.

I used to recommend bankrate.com, but I just took a look and don't recognize any of the big names in there anymore nor are the rates remarkably better than what you can get elsewhere.

Also, keep an eye on points and make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  Points are basically paying a part of your interest up front.  I generally aim for 0 point loans.

The internet is your friend.  Just about everybody has their rates on their website.

Hope that helps?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers