Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

SnShne322 and PebbleCafe re: ICED (and others!) SP!!

Ok, I finished ICED. I loved this book. It pulled me in so much more than I thought it would.

SnShne322 - was your issue Dani's age and the fact that 3 men seemed to be in love with her? Lol. I was worried about the sex thing (because I could not imagine KMM writing without sex) with Dani being a child. But I was very happy with how KMM handled it throughout the book.

I think what I liked so much about it was seeing Dani through everyone else's eyes. I found her irritating in the Fever books, but she was so charming in this, and to see how much everyone admired or cherished her (in different ways) was great. And KMM hanlded it so well, I thought. You really got a feeling for her.

What were you referring to in my post yesterday?

Re: SnShne322 and PebbleCafe re: ICED (and others!) SP!!

• I haven't finished Iced yet but I totally agree with you on seeing things through Dani's eyes.  I found her super annoying in the fever books.  And as far as I have seen the sex part is handled well.  I have to think about my 16 year old self and my views of sex, etc.  And I can't say things in the book are that far off from what I remember thinking myself.

~Lauren~

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (babystinkbreath)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Read in 2011: 56/55

Read in 2012: 31/30

Read in 2013: 49/40

Read in 2014: 42/40

• Yes, my issue was the absolute fawning and drooling over 14 year old girl. I thought I could overlook it, but i felt like she was over sexualized by one guy who is, IIRC, 7 years older than her and the other who is quite possibly a millennia older. It just felt like they could have backed off a bit. It was too much for me. 

I will still read on, and loved KMM and the Fever series, but it was a bit much for me. 

I posted about this when I first read it and I think I'm in the minority! 

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• I grew tired of Dani's constant "I'm a superhero!" speech. And referring to herself as "Mega". I mean, really tired of how badass she thought she is. I had to keep reminding myself she's a teenager and the crazy world she was now living in. Still, she got on my nerves. 

Mac got on my nerves too; whining over her nail polish or the color of her nail polish, but by the end of the first book in the Fever series, she grew up a bit. And with each book after that, she grew.

I was hoping that would be the same with Dani in ICED. To me, that didn't happen. LOVE the ending, though.

I didn't see in her what others did. Maybe I was in a bad mood the entire time I read the book. lol! She just annoyed me and kept annoying me.

eta: Dani didn't bother me in the Fever series. I found her charming. Go figure!

Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • image SnShne322:

Yes, my issue was the absolute fawning and drooling over 14 year old girl. I thought I could overlook it, but i felt like she was over sexualized by one guy who is, IIRC, 7 years older than her and the other who is quite possibly a millennia older. It just felt like they could have backed off a bit. It was too much for me. 

I will still read on, and loved KMM and the Fever series, but it was a bit much for me. 

I agree with you. When that came up at different parts of the book, it bothered me too. And I wondered/worried where KMM was going with it especially with Ryodan and Christian; not so much her friend... blanking on his name. Weren't they about the same age?

Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • image Pebble_Cafe:
    image SnShne322:

Yes, my issue was the absolute fawning and drooling over 14 year old girl. I thought I could overlook it, but i felt like she was over sexualized by one guy who is, IIRC, 7 years older than her and the other who is quite possibly a millennia older. It just felt like they could have backed off a bit. It was too much for me. 

I agree with you. When that came up at different parts of the book, it bothered me too. And I wondered/worried where KMM was going with it especially with Ryodan and Christian; not so much her friend... blanking on his name. Weren't they about the same age?

I can't recall what the kids name is either (Dancer maybe?), but he didn't bother me much.  He seemed interested in her, but it wasn't overtly sexual.  Where the other two couldn't have cared less about her as a person, but can't wait to defile her. And I hate the fact that I feel the need to use the word defile.  Makes it even more skeevy to me.

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I had a feeling that's what you were referencing in that other thread. I fully expected to have a problem with that. But I thought that she (the author) handled it really well throughout.

Ryodan - he didn't make any comments to anyone about her, didn't show in anyway that he was thinking of her like that .... except 2 instances that I can remember: 1) Christian was watching Ryodan & Dani together, and Christian saw the way he looked at her, and I'm paraphrasing, but Christian said that Ryodan looked at Dani like he knew she was worth waiting for; and 2) he grabbed her chin once and told her she was going to be a hell of a woman one day. I disagree that he didn't have an interest in her as a person ... I felt like he really respected her skills & even her opinion. He asked her for help with the big project, and kept asking her to share her ideas & opinions. Did you feel like that was BS? I didn't get that feeling; I thought he respected her intelligence and different way of thinking that might lead to conclusions that he wouldn't have come to.

Christian - when he was himself (not the Unseelie Prince), he was so respectful of her, almost reverent, and absolutely protective of her. I loved when she saved him at that last scene, and he was so amazed by it that he then sacrificed himself so that he could help her with the battle. Yeah, there was talk of marrying her, and he seemed a little too happy that she was a virgin ...

Speaking of which .... the Red Hag or whatever they called her, she can't kill Christian completely, right? Only cause him lots of suffering until he breaks free?

Anyway. Dancer. Yes, he was adorable. IIRC, he was either 16 or 17, and I just absolutely loved him. Though, I kept waiting for backstory on him.... I hope it comes. She mentioned somewhere in the book that he gave Dani a bracelet that she always wore ... I was expecting that to be something, some way to magically bind them together or something, but nothing came of that. I just wonder if he's more than he seems, as in not a mortal teenage boy, but something else.

Thanks for chatting. :) I really liked this book, as you can tell.  

• image Leeba25:

I had a feeling that's what you were referencing in that other thread. I fully expected to have a problem with that. But I thought that she (the author) handled it really well throughout.

Ryodan - he didn't make any comments to anyone about her, didn't show in anyway that he was thinking of her like that .... except 2 instances that I can remember: 1) Christian was watching Ryodan & Dani together, and Christian saw the way he looked at her, and I'm paraphrasing, but Christian said that Ryodan looked at Dani like he knew she was worth waiting for; and 2) he grabbed her chin once and told her she was going to be a hell of a woman one day. I disagree that he didn't have an interest in her as a person ... I felt like he really respected her skills & even her opinion. He asked her for help with the big project, and kept asking her to share her ideas & opinions. Did you feel like that was BS? I didn't get that feeling; I thought he respected her intelligence and different way of thinking that might lead to conclusions that he wouldn't have come to.

Christian - when he was himself (not the Unseelie Prince), he was so respectful of her, almost reverent, and absolutely protective of her. I loved when she saved him at that last scene, and he was so amazed by it that he then sacrificed himself so that he could help her with the battle. Yeah, there was talk of marrying her, and he seemed a little too happy that she was a virgin ...

Speaking of which .... the Red Hag or whatever they called her, she can't kill Christian completely, right? Only cause him lots of suffering until he breaks free?

Anyway. Dancer. Yes, he was adorable. IIRC, he was either 16 or 17, and I just absolutely loved him. Though, I kept waiting for backstory on him.... I hope it comes. She mentioned somewhere in the book that he gave Dani a bracelet that she always wore ... I was expecting that to be something, some way to magically bind them together or something, but nothing came of that. I just wonder if he's more than he seems, as in not a mortal teenage boy, but something else.

Thanks for chatting. :) I really liked this book, as you can tell.  

You are right in the respect that they didn't convey these thoughts to Dani.  I don't have a copy of the book, so I can't quote which passages bothered me, but some of the internal dialogue just skeeved me out.

I posted about this when I first read it a month or two ago, and I seemed to be the only one that took much issue with it, so I wouldn't take too much stock in my opinions!  I am looking forward to her being a little more mature, because I would like to see how her relationships with Ryodan and Christian develop.  I'm not opposed to any sex (or otherwise) with these characters, I just think maybe a seed could have been planted for it versus the version in Iced. Maybe until she's 16 ish. Stick out tongue

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:

• Lol @ "maybe at 16'ish" ... I hope she's much older than that for the kind of sex I want her to have with Ryodan. :) OMG I JUST DID IT TOO!! Let me change that. For the kind of sex I want to see Ryodan having, in the first person, not just from the doorway when the narrating character walks in unexpectedly.

I was trying to figure out how KMM is going to do that. Because I think she refers to this as part 1 in a trilogy, and I assumed that the trilogy is going to focus on this problem they're having with the walls being down. Maybe a flash-forward, a la Harry Potter and Ginny being married with kids going off to Hogwarts ....

You know, I just realized something. Didn't Mac have 3 men after her too? V'lane (Unseelie Prince), Barrons (whatever he is), and .... there was a mortal she dated too, but I'm blanking on who it was. (It wasn't Christian was it?!) Now KMM is setting up the scene the same for Dani, sort of.

• Ha, true. For some reason I didn't expect her to hook up with Ryodan in my head.  I think it was always Christian for some reason.  I would like her to have hot crazy sex at some point YEARS from "now"  Like over 18 for sure.

I think there is going to have to be some leaps between books from what I recall KMM saying about the series.  I know one of the hotly debated topics is that Dani is the MC and she will have sex at some point.  I think, like me, people couldn't see past the fact that she was 14.  I'm hoping she will come up with a way to make it "OK" yet still keep it in KMM style.

I think it was Christian in Fever too.  Well, in one of the books anyway.  There was one guy that was in with the bad dudes. Sorry, that's vague, I can't remember their names at this point!

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:

• I agree with you SnShne, I was not digging how these much older guys are fighting over who will screw the 14 year old girl first. 

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)