Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NBR: Stupid, petty question inside

My BIL's birthday is tomorrow.  My sister and he never send DH or me cards anymore.  Ever.  No birthday cards, no Christmas cards, nada.  I send her girls both cards and presents for their birthdays and Christmas and I had been sending both her and BIL birthday and Christmas cards.  I won't stop with the girls, but I'm kinda fed up with the lack of reciprocity on cards.  I know it's stupid.  I'm thinking to not send a card (partly because I forgot until today that his birthday is tomorrow).  DH says we could send one of our generic cards that we have, but the petty and stupid part of me says screw it.  WWYD?

Re: NBR: Stupid, petty question inside

• I wouldn't send one. Just call him or send him an email. That way you are pretty much assured a thank you at the very least.
  • I'd say screw it.

My sister and I are pretty close, but we never send cards to each other most because we are both lazy about it and usually forget until the day before.

Married 7/04 LO#1 9/13 LO#2 12/15
  • I wouldn't either, I'm really over doing things for people and getting no thank you or the same gesture extended to my husband and I.  
    Books read in 2011: 111

Books read in 2012: 100
    Books read in 2013: 75
    Books read in 2014: 130
    Books read in 2015: 98
    my read shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Do what feels right to you, regardless of your expectations of other people.  If the reason you send them is only to keep up that practice, then I wouldn't continue doing it.  If you get satisfaction from sending them, then do it anyway.  I personally never send christmas cards and send birthday cards to immediate family only.  It's just not that important to me.  
    Anniversary
              40 books in 2014?

2014: 4/40

[2010: 63] [2011: 35] [2012: 23] [2013: 27]

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• image SacGeoLover:
    Do what feels right to you, regardless of your expectations of other people.  If the reason you send them is only to keep up that practice, then I wouldn't continue doing it.  If you get satisfaction from sending them, then do it anyway.  I personally never send christmas cards and send birthday cards to immediate family only.  It's just not that important to me.  

My first reaction is to say no, but I think SGL has it about right.

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• I'd say don't send one, but my DH would say to send one.

My BIL and SIL have never sent us a Christmas card since they've been together (the last Christmas card we got from BIL was when he and ex-SIL were still together.. 4 or 5 years ago). For the past two years I've asked DH if we should still send one to them and he says yes. I think it's frustrating because they are always talking about what a pain and inconvenience it is for them to send out Christmas cards (they live in a condo, have no kids, etc.). Well hey, I'm pretty busy and I still make time for them because it's the nice thing to do!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary 

Books Read in 2014: 10 
  • I wouldn't worry about it. I am not big on cards, but if we get together for the occasion I usually do a small gift. Sometimes a card and sometimes not.
  • Send because you want to, not because you expect reciprocity.

I love getting cards.  I am terrible at sending them.

image imageimage
  • We have the same issue with my BIL & SIL, we all buy them gifts and cards for their birthday but when ours comes around we don't get anything, and they never say anything about it either. I don't expect a gift but not getting a card! Really, i mean if you forget or don't have the money make one...there are no excuses. We battle about this all the time. They are just selfish people! My other SIL has stopped with the card & gifts for them but A & I still continue and we prob always will.

my read shelf:Jess (Shepherdjel)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I say don't bother.  If you really feel like you have to, send an ecard.  A free one.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• image RevJen:
    I say don't bother.  If you really feel like you have to, send an ecard.  A free one.

Yes  Problem solved :-)

my read shelf:Jess (Shepherdjel)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image Shepherdjel:

image RevJen:
    I say don't bother.  If you really feel like you have to, send an ecard.  A free one.

Yes  Problem solved :-)

sassypants527 likes this post