Buying A Home
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Home Inspection tips

Hi, Any tips for my home inspection this Friday?

We want to buy a PUD house that our offer was accepted on. The boiler is original to the house and I'm a bit worried about that, there's also some cracks in the ceiling that are probably cosmetic, but, I'm wondering if there are certain things we can request the seller to fix contingent on the sale?

Re: Home Inspection tips

• You can request the seller fix anything. And you can also request they fix nothing but give you mony off the sale price to fix it.

The key word is: request.

A seller can agree to anything, everything, or nothing. Unless they cannot legally sell the home anyway due to a safety hazard discovered, like a furnace leaking carbon monoxide, they are under no obligation to do anything.

I generally go with the idea of presenting a list of three major things that I want done. One our current house it was a repaired furnace, a fixed water leak, and a new hot water heater.

• Your bid offer should be contingtent on an ACCEPTABLE home inspection (plus any other contingencies you might have.)  Then you can negotiate when there are items that come up during the inspection.  If you are not satisfied with the sellers offer to reduce the price or fix themselves, then you have the option to walk away with out penalty.  (I prefer a reduced price and fix things myself as then I can control how things are fixed, the contractor, products, workmanship etc)
  • Also, the contract you signed when you submitted your bid might tell you what you're even allowed to request. For us, we were limited to HVAC, electrical, plumbing and one or two other small but specific categories (like leaky roof flashings). Our inspection came back with a few things in those categories, which we requested, and the things that fell outstide of those categories we'd have to just accept or walk away from the deal altogether.
    TWINS! Via DE IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image MommyLiberty5013:

You can request the seller fix anything. And you can also request they fix nothing but give you mony off the sale price to fix it.

The key word is: request.

A seller can agree to anything, everything, or nothing. Unless they cannot legally sell the home anyway due to a safety hazard discovered, like a furnace leaking carbon monoxide, they are under no obligation to do anything.

I generally go with the idea of presenting a list of three major things that I want done. One our current house it was a repaired furnace, a fixed water leak, and a new hot water heater.

When you requested these be done, did the seller reduce the price of the home or fix these?

If our house doesn't have a hot water heater and we request it, could we request that the price of adding one be taken off the sell price of the home?

• The seller paid to have the work done by professionals. That's a key too...if they opt to pay for it, be sure they have it done by professionals and that the homeowners don't do it themselves.

Sure. You can request whatever you want to request as long as there are no stipulations otherwise. Do some research into water heaters and figure out a fair price for the parts and labor. Also, you might want to consider capacity...the more water it holds the more expensive it is. But, if you have a large family, a growing family, or will have many guests, a larger tank is probably better.

Just curious, why doesn't it have a water heater? Was it stolen in a foreclosure situation?

• image MommyLiberty5013:

The seller paid to have the work done by professionals. That's a key too...if they opt to pay for it, be sure they have it done by professionals and that the homeowners don't do it themselves.

Sure. You can request whatever you want to request as long as there are no stipulations otherwise. Do some research into water heaters and figure out a fair price for the parts and labor. Also, you might want to consider capacity...the more water it holds the more expensive it is. But, if you have a large family, a growing family, or will have many guests, a larger tank is probably better.

Just curious, why doesn't it have a water heater? Was it stolen in a foreclosure situation?

It heats the water in the boiler through a coil, so only the water that's used is heated. We're planning to send a letter like this:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

" It is requested that the following items be corrected, repaired or credited for at closing. A copy of the reports have been forwarded for your review. Please reference main body with pictures. Items are referenced numerically in summary:

Electrical: a) Seller to have licensed electrician evaluate, address and repair, as appropriate, items in summary: Double taps, possible overload, misc. (#19-23) Alternatively Buyer would accept additional closing cost credit in amount of repair.Fireplace: Chimney cleaning professional to service and clean firebox, smoke shelf and chimney as necessary.Boiler/Related Chimney: HVAC or appropriate licensed contractor to address defects as outlined in summary. a) chimney/exhaust pipe- inadequate clearance from combustible materials (#3 & #24), b) vent connector, re: barometric damper (#25), c) drafting issue (#26).Plumbing: Seller to have plumber make corrections. (#2 & #30).  "