Delaware Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Menu Planning

Do any of you do this?

I have dabbled in it before, but am not so good at it. I feel like I need to get better at it because I'm doing a Daniel Fast with my church soon, and the diet is really limited. Any web site and/or suggestions for help with this? 

Re: Menu Planning

• I definitely do it. I don't know that there's a 'secret', but you just have to give yourself the time- but it's definitely worth it! It saves so much $$ and time in the end. My tip is to always include one or two crock pot meals in case stuff pops up during the week. Also, if you're making something that can be frozen, make extra. It's nice to have meals in the freezer for those nights that there is just no time.

• Thank you. I've been meaning to put crock pot meals together for the freezer, but I never seem to have the time. I do always make extra soup/stew/etc when I make it. It's kind of difficult to cook something like that for just four people anyway, you know?
  • I do it, too.  We always sit down on Sundays and plan out our meals for the week.  We make a list of the things we will need and then we head to the grocery store.  We have a rule that we can only buy things that are on the list, which has been great.  Our shopping trips don't take long at all and we spend a lot less than we did back when we were more impulsive shoppers.

• image janma529:

I do it, too.  We always sit down on Sundays and plan out our meals for the week.  We make a list of the things we will need and then we head to the grocery store.  We have a rule that we can only buy things that are on the list, which has been great.  Our shopping trips don't take long at all and we spend a lot less than we did back when we were more impulsive shoppers.

All of this! Also, I organize my list by meals. That way when the night comes I can look at the list and know exactly what I need to get out. I try to only go shopping every 2 weeks, so things like produce get highlighted if they're not needed until the next week. Then I'll swing by the store on the way home from work and get that week's produce. Check your store's weekly ads for sales on meat- that's usualy how I decide what we're having!

• I used to be soo good about meal planning! now i'm just terrible. after new years I'll get back into it.

Ben doesn't help me with the menu though. I'll ask him if there is anything he wants and normally there isn't anything. but sometimes he'll say what he doesn't want.  and Ashley doesn't really eat dinner so I don't have to really take her into consideration. I will say though leftovers dont last as long with 3 people in the house so that kinda messed me up at first.

• I meal plan like these ladies say, but I only really cook on the weekends, and we have leftovers all week.  It's good when H is on nights.  I usually made a soup for my lunches, and a dinner or two for dinners all week.  Sometimes I have a back up meal in case we run out that's quick and easy to throw together (baked ziti, spaghetti, chicken...).
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image janma529:

I do it, too.  We always sit down on Sundays and plan out our meals for the week.  We make a list of the things we will need and then we head to the grocery store.  We have a rule that we can only buy things that are on the list, which has been great.  Our shopping trips don't take long at all and we spend a lot less than we did back when we were more impulsive shoppers.

This is what we did too.  December was crappy for us b/c of after work activities, trying to get ready for Christmas  & DH working late.  I really want to get back into it.  We ate so much better when we planned the meals and had what we needed.  I want to try doing 2 weeks at a time. 

• I want to do this too... but it's REALLY hard for me because H's work schedule varies week to week and he works nights a lot.  It's hard to cook for just me.  Sometimes I will make a big meal and then leave some in the fridge for lunch or dinner the next day and then I'll freeze individual portions for a quick meal later.  We've been really bad with eating out a lot lately and I hate it!  The holiday's don't help either, I think after the New Year things will settle down and maybe I can start some kind of meal planning thing.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers