Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

3rd Post about Sensitive Topic - UPDATE

Hi All,

First, thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

To give you an update, some of the other neighbors and I are going to make some meals in weeks to follow since we already know that both the refrigerators in this family's home are overflowing right now.

Also, my DH and I sent over a card with another neighbor. We HAVE found child care and are either going to pay our respects at the visitation this evening or at the funeral tomorrow, not both.

We debated even going to one of these, however, if this family decides to stay in their home we will know them for years to come. We also share the same faith with them and want to quietly let them know we care. We will be seeing them a lot.

Here is another question for you all: Our home faces their's directly. We can see all the going's on over there. We aren't spying, but our windows all face the street so it is hard to avoid. Out of respect to their privacy and mourning, we have kept the kids indoors and have kept most of our front blinds and draperies drawn so they do not feel intruded upon.

My question is: when do you think we can go to "life as usual?" We cannot keep our kids inside forever and we need to get some more sunlight in here since all of our's comes from our south-facing windows at the front of the home.

Re: 3rd Post about Sensitive Topic - UPDATE

• I think you are being a really sweet neighbor by doing all the things you are doing. But I don't think you should stop living your life because of this tragedy. I am so sorry for their loss, but you can't hide. I think you should go about your normal life, open the drapes and let the kids out.
  • image vineyard12:
    I think you are being a really sweet neighbor by doing all the things you are doing. But I don't think you should stop living your life because of this tragedy. I am so sorry for their loss, but you can't hide. I think you should go about your normal life, open the drapes and let the kids out.

This.  

• image vineyard12:
    I think you are being a really sweet neighbor by doing all the things you are doing. But I don't think you should stop living your life because of this tragedy. I am so sorry for their loss, but you can't hide. I think you should go about your normal life, open the drapes and let the kids out.
    basically all of this.  I guess I'd wait until after the funeral.  There will still be a lot of comings and goings and stuff going on - give them another day of privacy.  Then after that, get back to your lives.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image EastCoastBride:
    image vineyard12:
    basically all of this.  I guess I'd wait until after the funeral.  There will still be a lot of comings and goings and stuff going on - give them another day of privacy.  Then after that, get back to your lives.

I agree with these ladies, I also think it may be strange for them if they are used to seeing your kids outplaying and now they are not and your house looks empty/closed off...a sence of normal can actually be a relief to people who are suffering for whatever reason.

• Kudos to all that you are doing!  That sounds great!  You may want to let them know about the chain of dinners coming if you haven't done so already, just to have one thing off their mind as they settle back in to life.

Let your kids play outside!  They may enjoy hearing children laughing, playing etc.....  Sometimes hearing kids makes people feel happy!  If you feel the kids are getting too loud or intrusive, call them in.  There is no reason to make them suffer/altar their lives.

Good job on being a good neighbor!