Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

MOG,FAMILY, and GUEST. HELP!!!

1.MOG: when we satred planing everything was fine and the MOG said its our wedding do what ever you want, but now(many times) she has tried to run us over and take control. granted i've never planed a wedding, but they go tmarried in a court house. 2.FAMILY: my family and his family don't really get along, mainly our moms, i  live with him and his mom so i dnt want to direspect her and tell her to step off but i dnt wan to upset my mom by not involving her. 3.GUEST: we are having our wedding in Destin,Fl. his family lives in ohio and mine in tennessee, now we've already come to the conclusion that not everyone will be there because of the distance. but it seems like no one is coming at all, and what girl doesn't want people at there wedding?? i know it'll up set me when we get to the day and theres no one there, but i know its not about them. but it just upsets me. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?? PLEASE HELP.......thanks <3

Re: MOG,FAMILY, and GUEST. HELP!!!

• MOG: when we satred planing everything was fine and the MOG said its our wedding do what ever you want, but now(many times) she has tried to run us over and take control.

Who is paying for the event?

If the MOG is footing the bill, sorry, she makes the calls.

If you and he are paying -- or somebody other than his mother is --- you call the shots. Stand up for yourselves together and tell her to butt out. She needs to be told to stand down. 

FAMILY: my family and his family don't really get along, mainly our moms, i  live with him and his mom so i dnt want to direspect her and tell her to step off but i dnt wan to upset my mom by not involving her.

As I said: if you and he are paying for the wedding, you and he make the calls and call all the shots. Not anybody else.

Regardless, the 2 of you need to  be a team and tell her to buzz off; make sure she gets the message.

And yes, your mother should be participating more, even IF she is not paying fot the event. The 2 of them need to call a truce and work together.

I don't know why you are living with her but it is NOT a good idea.

If you and he are doing it because you cannot afford to live anywhere else what you need to do: stop planning and wait until you both are self sufficient enough until you can afford even the cheapest of apartments...but the horse is out of the barn. 

I guarantee you that she will call all the shots once the wedding is over, too. She's probably doing it now but you and he have chosen to water it all down.

3.GUEST: we are having our wedding in Destin,Fl. his family lives in ohio and mine in tennessee, now we've already come to the conclusion that not everyone will be there because of the distance. but it seems like no one is coming at all, and what girl doesn't want people at there wedding?? i know it'll up set me when we get to the day and theres no one there, but i know its not about them. but it just upsets me. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?? PLEASE HELP.......thanks <3

How close are you to the date itself?

You are not getting married until May of next year, according to your bio. Sheesh...that's a long long way down the road to get worked up over.

If you do indeed know that nobody wants to travel "that far" to get to a wedding, then scratch your plans and have a much smaller affair. or have one with only those who are your nearest and dearest. Quality of the guests, not quantity, is what counts. 
  • image TarponMonoxide:
    MOG: when we satred planing everything was fine and the MOG said its our wedding do what ever you want, but now(many times) she has tried to run us over and take control.

Who is paying for the event?

If the MOG is footing the bill, sorry, she makes the calls.

If you and he are paying -- or somebody other than his mother is --- you call the shots. Stand up for yourselves together and tell her to butt out. She needs to be told to stand down. 

FAMILY: my family and his family don't really get along, mainly our moms, i  live with him and his mom so i dnt want to direspect her and tell her to step off but i dnt wan to upset my mom by not involving her.

As I said: if you and he are paying for the wedding, you and he make the calls and call all the shots. Not anybody else.

Regardless, the 2 of you need to  be a team and tell her to buzz off; make sure she gets the message.

And yes, your mother should be participating more, even IF she is not paying fot the event. The 2 of them need to call a truce and work together.

I don't know why you are living with her but it is NOT a good idea.

If you and he are doing it because you cannot afford to live anywhere else what you need to do: stop planning and wait until you both are self sufficient enough until you can afford even the cheapest of apartments...but the horse is out of the barn. 

I guarantee you that she will call all the shots once the wedding is over, too. She's probably doing it now but you and he have chosen to water it all down.

3.GUEST: we are having our wedding in Destin,Fl. his family lives in ohio and mine in tennessee, now we've already come to the conclusion that not everyone will be there because of the distance. but it seems like no one is coming at all, and what girl doesn't want people at there wedding?? i know it'll up set me when we get to the day and theres no one there, but i know its not about them. but it just upsets me. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?? PLEASE HELP.......thanks <3

How close are you to the date itself?

You are not getting married until May of next year, according to your bio. Sheesh...that's a long long way down the road to get worked up over.

If you do indeed know that nobody wants to travel "that far" to get to a wedding, then scratch your plans and have a much smaller affair. or have one with only those who are your nearest and dearest. Quality of the guests, not quantity, is what counts. 

All of this...

To add to the guests issue....WHY in the world would you have your wedding so far away from everyone if you want everyone to come? Newsflash: Its quite possible that only you and your fiance (and possibly parents) care enough about your wedding to put thier whole lives on hold, spend thier own finances (given the current economy/job situation people might not even have the money to travel even if they want to!), take time off work/use thier only vacation time on you, to go somewhere else to go to a wedding that isn't thier own. So if you want all your family and friends to be there. Have it where you live or where you are from. Most people who have desination weddings do so for the reason that they DON'T want a large wedding. Its not everyone elses job to make sure you have 'people at your wedding', you want people...don't make them travel.