January 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Who's the frugal one in your relationship?

Is it you or your husband/wife? How do you save money?  I know there are online sites to help. 

Both DH and I are pretty careful with our money.  We always talk about purchases over $100.  We both have our own spending money as well for the small stuff.  We are great about having a set amount of each paycheck deposit into savings.  Usually when it comes to impulse buys I'm worse about it than DH.  I've gotten better in the last years since I've had to budget and plan a wedding and now for baby.  I love that DH takes charge of paying the bills.  I'm in charge of the grocery shopping and similar stuff.  For us it works well.  We both know the balance of the account and how much is spent where. 

Current dilemma - spending money on the baby.  With DH having a knee scope next week, that's added at least $1500 in expenses.  We can cover it, but we've been trying to save as much as possible for baby and our trip to CA over Christmas.  We hope to have enough in savings and with our tax return to pay baby off shortly after delivery. Anywho, to get to the dilemma,  I want to get professional newborn baby pictures.  I'm trying to find a good deal.  He's not super thrilled in spending money on this and thinks I should just take some pictures.  In the mean time I've found a few cribs I like that are around $500 on sale for around $250.  He's thinking about spending $750-800 on a crib. We aren't arguing over it, but we are definitely not agreeing.  Stick out tongue  Maybe I should wait until after his surgery to go crib shopping. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who's the frugal one in your relationship?

• DH is the frugal one in the relationship. I love shopping for clothes. I just bought a new coat (my mom went halves with me) but I didn't NEED the coat. I feel guilty now. My DH doesn't shop too often at all. The most he does is place an order at REI every once in a while.

Married the love of my life on 1-21-12. Our princess arrived on 5-28-13.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    imageimage"Image">image
  • Ben is definitely the frugal one in our relationship. He doesn't spend much at all. I, on the other hand, am so bad. Big purchases aren't the problem. We usually talk those over. I have a problem with buying a lot of little things. It's funny (or not) because I'm the one that pays all the bills, so you would think I'd be more mindful of my spending. The only way we're able to save any money is if it is automatically put away. I know it's bad, but If it goes to our checking accounts, it will almost definitely be spent.

Michelle, I'm on your side with the baby purchases. I would definitely buy the crib on sale and put that money toward professional baby pictures. When we have a baby, I really want to be able to have monthly mini-sessions done for the first year and yearly ones after that. I don't know how realistic that is for us, but it's what I hope will happen.

• It me all the way.  I am on both sides.  I think I would still buy the crib on sale.  But maybe find a newer photographer on CL or have someone you know do the pictures.  Then you both win. 

This is a prime example of sexes have different priorities.  Women: tend to want something sentimental.  Pictures are great to have and will hold a lot of memories, but are certainly not a need. 

Men: safety is a must.  I am sure your 250 crib is just fine, but in his mind, he probably wants to go all out to protect his kid.  Which is a nice thought, but its a little over the top.

Compromise! :)

Just my 2 cents.

• image jjbmstinco:
    Men: safety is a must.  I am sure your 250 crib is just fine, but in his mind, he probably wants to go all out to protect his kid.  Which is a nice thought, but its a little over the top.

I must be the oddball.  I'd say get the cheapest crib you can get that will do the job as you won't be keeping it that long anyway.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image jtmh2012:

image jjbmstinco:

I must be the oddball.  I'd say get the cheapest crib you can get that will do the job as you won't be keeping it that long anyway.

This was the point I was trying to make to DH.  I've been reading the reviews of the cribs as well for the safety and other info.  Guess we'll see.  We are hopefully going crib shopping this weekend.  I'm thinking it'll help us narrow down our price and style.

• image shellmaneth:
    This was the point I was trying to make to DH.  I've been reading the reviews of the cribs as well for the safety and other info.  Guess we'll see.  We are hopefully going crib shopping this weekend.  I'm thinking it'll help us narrow down our price and style.

I guess here's the other way I look at it.  Barring something with an actual defect or bad design, anything is going to be better than what our parents had 35 years ago when we were born and we survived just fine.

• Michelle- Have you tried looking on craigslist and scoping out new photographers who want to build thier portfolio? That may be a good way to get nice pictures for a low price.

I'm with you on the crib, I'd rather spend the 250 instead of the 750. With how much everything else is going to cost, I would much perfer to have a good, solid, safe, cheaper crib.

As far as who is most frugal, we each take turns. Our biggest expense right now is food because we go out all the time. We are trying to cut back and I know once we get in our house we will be cooking alot more at home.

Lilypie - (2f9f)Lilypie - (y2el)
    Daisypath - (30fE)

• image Am12712:

Michelle- Have you tried looking on craigslist and scoping out new photographers who want to build thier portfolio? That may be a good way to get nice pictures for a low price.

I'm with you on the crib, I'd rather spend the 250 instead of the 750. With how much everything else is going to cost, I would much perfer to have a good, solid, safe, cheaper crib.

As far as who is most frugal, we each take turns. Our biggest expense right now is food because we go out all the time. We are trying to cut back and I know once we get in our house we will be cooking alot more at home.

We've been eating our more too since I got pregnant.  At first I just was not in the mood to cook, period.  Plus what I could stomach varied.  I've been much better the last few weeks.  So last weekend I cooked a lot and we had plenty of leftovers this week.  Trying to get back in the habit.  I've also been doing to reading about freezer meals.  Grocery shopping once a month, one day of prep work, freeze a bunch of stuff so you can bake or crock pot it later.  I think this might really help me with being so busy with school and if I end up being a SAHM.  

I haven't checked Craigslist yet.  My boss's daughter just had her little boy on the 10th and just got pictures done yesterday.  She knows someone who just graduated or is still in school who is really reasonable.  My boss was going to get her information for me.  If she's good, we might have our solution.  :)  If not, I'll keep looking.  

• I am going to agree on the crib and photos, but another thing to look into would be the department store photography studios. Thy have a good price and do a decent job on portraits. Might be better than nothing at all.  

photo sig_zps7d54b52d.jpg

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Oh and we are both just a frugal as the other. We both have our weaknesses for certain things, but we typically keep the other in check, except for going out to eat. But we are getting better on that. 
    photo sig_zps7d54b52d.jpg

BabyFruit Ticker 

• I'm definitely the frugal one. I save and there will never be enough money in my bank account. I constantly worry even though I know we're doing okay. J is pretty good with money. I just have to make sure he thinks purchases through without getting too overenthusiastic haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker