Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Don't Buy Dishwasher Rinse Agent Any More!

I saw a tip that everyday household vinegar will keep film off dishes without leaving a vinegar odor, and I tried it tonight.  It worked beautifully!  Just pour the vinegar where you would the Jet-Dry (gosh darn, that stuff is expensive!) and set the cycle as you normally do.  My glasses look better with vinegar than they did with rinse agent.
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)

Re: Don't Buy Dishwasher Rinse Agent Any More!

• Awesome! I definitely want to try this!

• I didnt' even put it in the rinse agent holder.  I just put it directly on teh bottome of the washer.  Although I recently got a water softener and don't need to use the vinegar anymore.
  • Ummmm...you just made my day!  Do you have to add the vinegar with every wash or just occasionally like I did with the Jet Dry? 

Did you also know vinegar is a good way to clean your dishwasher?  Check this out!
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8102073_clean-dishwasher-using-vinegar.html

• I've only run the one cycle using the vinegar, so I wasn't positive.  I just checked the rinse agent dispenser, and there's still some vinegar in there, so I assume you'd only have to refill it occasionally.  I'll post back in a few days after a few more dishwasher loads on how long the original supply lasted.
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • I've been doing it that way for years!  I put it in the jet dry area every couple weeks.  My glass stays spot free!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know why but I was so excited to wake up today and try this. Thanks for the tip! I'm anxiously awaiting my dishwasher to finish so I can peep my sparkling glasses! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Super excited! Just put it in the DW. Thanks for the tip:)
  • I also use vinegar instead of fabric softener for my towels.   I feel they are cleaner and gets rid of the wet towel smell.
  • image HoneyBee973:
    I also use vinegar instead of fabric softener for my towels.   I feel they are cleaner and gets rid of the wet towel smell.

Vinegar definitely works great for getting rid of the towel odor.

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! image PitaPata Cat tickers image
  • Vinegar works on wet towels, wet napkins very well due to its level of acidity; it is a smart way to avoid using harsh chemicals.
  • We have been having a huge issue w/ our dishwasher leaving white spots all over everything and I honestly couldn't figure out what the deal was.  We always use the Jet-Dry stuff too but I feel like the white film has gotten so bad the past few weeks I was giving up using the dishwasher at all.  Is this the same type of stuff the vinegar is helping get rid of??
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • image 101709lovey:
    We have been having a huge issue w/ our dishwasher leaving white spots all over everything and I honestly couldn't figure out what the deal was.  We always use the Jet-Dry stuff too but I feel like the white film has gotten so bad the past few weeks I was giving up using the dishwasher at all.  Is this the same type of stuff the vinegar is helping get rid of??

Yes, I tried the vinegar because even our clean dishes looked dirty and foggy.  I'm excited to have clear glasses again!

• Wow.  Thanks.  This is a much cheaper option.  Is there anything vinegar can't do?  LOL