Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How do you clean your cutting boards?

How do you clean your wooden or plastic cutting boards, especially after cutting raw meat or chicken?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you clean your cutting boards?

• I use hot soapy water and a sponge. I also rinse my cutting board throughout the cutting process too.
  • Plastic - dishwasher

Bamboo - hot water, soap, sponge

• I only cut raw meat (especially chicken) on my plasctic cutting board so it can be washed in the dishwasher...I use the wooden one for everything else
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • For plastic I wash in the dishwasher. If I cut meat I rinse it well and then put it in the dishwasher. 

I only have a tiny wooden one that came with a cheese serving set. I hand wash this when I use it.

I have used stone/ marble cutting boards at other peoples homes and just hand wash those too. 

• Don't put raw meat on the wooding cutting board. I doubt it will ever make you sick, but it could, so keep the meat on the plastic. I wash both types of cutting board with soap and a sponge. You can rub salt on the wood ones if they are stained. You should condition the wood ones with mineral oil every once in while to keep them from getting too dry or cracked.
  • What everyone has already said, I only buy plastic cutting boards because I feel like wood ones would definatly become unsanitary over time. I throw all our cutting boards in the dishwasher.
  • image Santorini2011:

Plastic - dishwasher

Bamboo - hot water, soap, sponge

This

I'm Britt. Me 29 | MH 29 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image toothpastechica:
    What everyone has already said, I only buy plastic cutting boards because I feel like wood ones would definatly become unsanitary over time. I throw all our cutting boards in the dishwasher.

Ditto

• I wash both with soap and hot water then rub them with vinegar, rinse again and dry well. It's especially important for the wooden boards to be thoroughly dry so the wood doesn't split.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You should avoid wood for meat...it tends to collect more bacteria in the cracks. But if you do, clean well with hot, soapy water. There are also special cleaners you can find for wood (bed, bath, and beyond, amazon, etc) When I cut meat, I use plastic boards and I wash them with hot soapy water, then put them in the dishwasher, just to be safe. 
  • We only have a plastic one, so just regular hot water and soap.  My Mom has a plastic and a wooden, and she typically uses bleach water, vinegar, or lemon juice to clean them.  She has a separate one for fruits/veggies and raw meat, never uses the same one for the different things.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Visit The Nest!

Visit My Blog! Perfect 10 Beauty.

Visit My Etsy Shop! Sweetz Shoppe Jewelry on Etsy.

My Website Sweetz Shoppe Jewelry.