Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Organizing dresser drawers

I'll prob end up asking multiple questions about organizing my clothes, shoes, and bags.  Due to DH & I adjusting to each other, I must re-do my closets and dressers but am having a serious stumbling block.

So here is my first...How do you organize your drawers? 

For example: do you put jeans, sweaters, T-shirts in them?  Do you put sweaters?  Any rhyme or reason as to what goes in what drawer? 

Thanks Big Smile

Re: Organizing dresser drawers

• I have places to hang & shelves in my closet, and a dresser in our bedroom.

Most of my tops & dresses are hung in the closet, separated by color.  My jeans, shorts, tank tops, camis, etc. are folded and put on the shelves.  How do you know what you have to wear if everything is stuffed into a drawer?

Top drawer - exercise clothes

Top middle drawer: socks & underwear

Bottom middle drawer: PJs

Bottom drawer: swimsuits, strapless bras, & lingerie 

photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have a drawer for pants/shorts, one for tshirts and tank tops, one for misc summer wear (i.e. bathing suits, cover ups, etc), one for sweater and one for socks and underwear
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • I hang jeans, sweaters, and nicer tops. Everything else goes in a drawer. My drawers are organized by T-shirts, bottoms (shorts, skirts, etc.), PJs, and undies. I fold my clothing and do not stack them like most people do. I put the clothes in the drawer like they are filed...look at this link to see what I mean (its towards the bottom of the page) http://www.darkroomanddearly.com/search/label/DIY%20Projects?max-results=5

It really helps save space, and it prevents you from unfolding and moving everything around to find what you want. I cleared out 2 drawers just by folding like this! Hope this helps :)

• Thanks everyone! I think this will be my Saturday project.
  • image ajara001:

I hang jeans, sweaters, and nicer tops. Everything else goes in a drawer. My drawers are organized by T-shirts, bottoms (shorts, skirts, etc.), PJs, and undies. I fold my clothing and do not stack them like most people do. I put the clothes in the drawer like they are filed...look at this link to see what I mean (its towards the bottom of the page) http://www.darkroomanddearly.com/search/label/DIY%20Projects?max-results=5

It really helps save space, and it prevents you from unfolding and moving everything around to find what you want. I cleared out 2 drawers just by folding like this! Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that link that's a great idea! as soon as I get some time I'm doing this! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • DH and I each have one of these (he has a shorter one, and I have a taller one). His has socks, boxers, undershirts and I think pajama pants. I have my sports bras, underwear, bathing suits in the bigger drawers and belts in one drawer, jewelry in another, and just "stuff" (lotion, deodorant, BCP, etc.) 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Tower-Set-of-2-White/15940594

We hang all our clothes up in the closet and the main dresser has my tank tops and socks in the top drawer (I layer my clothes a lot, and work out in tanks a lot, too). Next drawer has all my pants, with the exception of dress pants because those are tucked away on a shelf in the closet (I don't wear business attire for work). Next drawer has all my shorts and skirts. And the bottom drawer has all of DH's bottoms. He could wear shorts year-round, so his pants are limited. But he has some on shelves in the closet too. 

But shirts, long-sleeves, sweaters, dresses, etc. are all hung up.
  • DH and I have two closets in our house and they are both small so we each have one, it seems to work well. I have shelving units in both closets and put shoes on the bottoms of each and then jeans and pants, and the top two are tshirts and tank tops. I have a small organizer thing for bras, undies, and socks in the closet. I keep everything nice and longer hung. DH hangs all his tshirts. We do not have a dresser, however I have a vanity with two long drawers and a armoire with two shelves. We store extra blankets, towels, and sheets in these. This method seems to work for us. 
  • I do dresses and sweaters in the closet (to prevent wrinkles and not devote drawer space to bulky items, and then I have two dressers. In the one I have:

Nice t-shirts, tank tops, and special occasion tops in one drawer

Socks, bras, and underwear

Long sleeve shirts

Sweatpants, bummy tshirts, and other comfy clothes

Jeans

Other pants and shorts

The other holds a tonnn of workout clothes:

Workout tops that don't need a bra, and sports bras

Tops that need a sports bra under them

Bottoms

Hats, scarves, and other accessories

An empty drawer on the bottom