Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Budapest?

Shel77Shel77 member
Eighth Anniversary

Trip planning for next spring to assist with my current post-vacation depression.

I'm definitely going back to France (Paris and surrounding cities) and thinking of adding 2-3 nights in Prague and then 2-3 in Budapest.  

Don't have a problem with traveling solo-this will be my 3rd time in France and 2nd time alone, but for some reason, Prague and Budapest simply feel more "foreign" to me so questions:  a doable itinerary?  Prague is a definite but Budapest...a must?  Are both cities able to be explored in about 2 days each (asking b/c I found this to be the case for Amsterdam and Brugges)

Lastly, most important, are Budapest and Prague easy enough to navigate for a woman with absolutely no spatial skills? 

Re: Budapest?

• We loved Budapest, you can check out my blog here. And while I wasn't travelling alone, it felt like a very safe city and we had no problems communicating even though we only speak English. I haven't been to Paris or Prague but I would highly recommend a few days in Budapest.
    The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
  • I've been to both Prague and Budapest and loved both! Budapest actually reminded me of a slightly grittier version of Paris; lots of beautiful architecture and wide boulevards. I spent 4 days in Prague (including a half-day trip to Kutna Hora) and 3.5 days in Budapest. I was pleasantly surprised with the number of things to see/do in Budapest. I would personally do no less than three nights in each city. In the next few weeks/months I will eventually be posting a review of my trip to those two cities in my travel blog so stay tuned!
  • Go to Budapest. It has become my favorite european city. It is beautiful! The language is difficult but everyone is very helpful and most speak english. I loved the baths, the art, history, music, the food and as PP mentioned the architecture is stunning. I rec a night tour on the Danube. The place sparkles!!

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • GilliCGilliC member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

That's kind of a funny group of cities, because a long time ago, Paris was the Bohemian European city with the affordable prices and relaxed vibe.  Then in the 90s, Prague became "the new Paris."  And now Budapest is considered "the new Prague."  Hehe.

Anyhow, you should be able to navigate Budapest, but expect a bit of a language barrier.  This is another way the cities have changed.  Paris is very easy to navigate with almost no language skills.  Prague is getting easier and easier.  In Budapest many people will be able to speak English, especially in touristy places, but you're likely to hit the language barrier if you stray at all off the beaten path.  Spatially, it's pretty easy.  The center of the city is pretty much where the metro lines 1, 2, & 3 meet.  A lot of the city stretches out along the line 1 in the same way it does in Paris.  The oldest part of the city (mostly for sightseeing as you'd be better served staying in Pest) is directly across the river.  Buy a good guidebook that can tell you how to get around, and it shouldn't be too hard.  Oh, and no up front that you will never be able to pronounce the Hungarian names, so be prepared to just point at them instead of trying to sound them out when you have questions.

• Shel77Shel77 member
    Eighth Anniversary
    Thanks so much for the help.  Budapest it is then!