Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Christmas Cards

Do you write a message in your christmas cards, or do you just put a "to" and sign it. My cards already have a message in them...so I can't see personalizing it too!

Re: Christmas Cards

• It depends. 

People who are just on the list because....they are siblings with someone else on the list (ie: all of dh's cousins are on the list, including ones we talk with occasionally and ones we never hear from) I just write our names.

People who I really care about (more my family and our mutual friends or the parents of our children's friends) I write a short message.

I also address every member of the family (Dear Joe, Betty, Jimmy, and baby Emma).

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • I always write a note to EVERYBODY. I hate getting cards when people just sign their name. It's like what's the point?! This is actually a pet peeve of mine.?
  • I always write out at least something like "Happy Holidays and to a great New Year".  JUST names?  Ito does always feel lacking to get those kind of cards.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I don't even send Christmas cards. I find the whole process tourturous.

From a receiver's perspective, I guess I don't really care. Maybe because I hate doing them, the fact someone even bothered to send me one I find an admirable level of effort...it's more effort than I'm willing to put in to it.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I always sign with a note. 

Isn't the point of a Christmas Card to let the reciever know that you are actually thinking of them and wishing them well?  How is JUST sending a card doing that?

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • Yes, I write a personalized note in each Christmas card.  I really doesn't take that much time, but it does take effort.  As a pp said, I find it tacky when people just send the photo.  To me, it screams "look at me and my kid/dog".  Blech.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto susiederkins.

Whenever I receive a Christmas card, I'm honored that I even made the sender's Christmas card list.  I don't need a personal note to feel special.

I know how busy I am, and I don't have the time to write notes to everyone.  I feel damn good about myself for just getting them out before Christmas.  I figure most of my friends/family are in a similar boat.

I'd love to know if anyone on my card list is annoyed that I don't include a personal note in my card, so that I could promptly take them off my list and have one less card to write out.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If people aren't special enough to deserve a note, they aren't special enough to receive a card. That said, I'm not much of a card person and my list is VERY short.
  • I write a short message in each card even if there's a preprinted message.  I'd rather do (and see) something along the lines of the basic, "Happy Holidays and have a great New Year!  See you soon!" rather than nothing.  i list out everyone's names, too.  On the other hand, I also buy the cheapest holiday cards possible--personally, I'd rather receive an inexpensive card with something handwritten than a realy fancy one with just "To" in it.

• I don't write messages for the most part.  I have a huge family -- 36 first cousins, 12 aunts and uncles, plus grandparents, and then there's the family friends that are like family.  I can send upwards of 70 cards just to my side of the family without batting an eyelash.  These are people I see no more than once a year, and generally it's every 2-4 years.  I wouldn't even bother with Christmas cards, but everybody wants to see baby pictures, so we send them out.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Interesting topic ... especially since I just ordered my Christmas cards. I write a note in each one. Nothing too long, but I try to write something personal to each person. We have about 40 people on our list (mostly DH's family) and he does his fair share of writing notes to his family as well. This may seem wierd but I don't mind if I receive a card that doesn't have a note on it, if the card has a family picture on it. It's always fun to see how our friends and families (who we haven't seen much of) look (and kids are growing). But I could care less about the generic cards that have no personal note in them.
  • image Maybride2:

Ditto susiederkins.

Whenever I receive a Christmas card, I'm honored that I even made the sender's Christmas card list.  I don't need a personal note to feel special.

I know how busy I am, and I don't have the time to write notes to everyone.  I feel damn good about myself for just getting them out before Christmas.  I figure most of my friends/family are in a similar boat.

I'd love to know if anyone on my card list is annoyed that I don't include a personal note in my card, so that I could promptly take them off my list and have one less card to write out.

Big Fat DITTO!!!

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • This is so apropos!!!  We just had a big disagreement about it. 

DH thinks it should say "Merry Christmas from Lily and Lily's DH."  I enjoy writing a note to each person and including their names, spouses, and children's names (unless I have forgotten the spellings and then its "and family").

We send about 60 cards.  I look forward to sending cards.  I enjoy reading people's cards and especially enjoy pics and notes. 

I once had a friend who just signed the cards and passed them out.  Why even bother?  I know not everyone is a card-person and I acknowledge that I might do more than others.

• Personally, I enjoy getting cards and seeing what the families look like, especially people who live far away and I don't get to see.

I don't care if they send a personal greeting or not.  I think with today's technology, you can keep up-to-date with people a lot easier at times other than Christmas.  If I phone or email my friend, or see my neighbors, I don't need to ask "how are you?" or tell them about what's going on in my life.  They already know!

Plus, it's very hard to write on the photo cards!

• I wanted to add if I received a photo card, I don't care if they write a note. It's when I receive a generic card that it bugs me if they just sign their name.?