Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

International souveniers

When you travel internationally, what do you normally bring back as souveniers?  I have decided to pack all trial sizes of toiletries so that will open up space for items to bring home.  We will need to bring home for our three adult kids (20, 20, and 18) but also do not want to weigh down luggage.
Kim wedding countdown

Re: International souveniers

• Personally, I try not to bring junk or Tshirts. Go with something they like and will actually use. for example, if they are a coffee drinker, maybe get them a pkg of a local blend. or a fountain pen, etc. jewelry is small and light (generally)

My nephew asked me for tart candy while I was in Brazil and I thought he was so smart!

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ditto on the no t-shirt or crap junk souveniers. Unless you know they JUST LOVE getting that kind of thing (chances are they don't).

We usually look for some sort of unique food item from the local we're visiting. Chocolate covered mac nuts from Hawaii, Guinness sauce from Ireland.. ect. I got a good friend whose a coffee nut some Kona coffee while in HI and she friggen loved it.

• A pencil drawing of the city I visit.  I have a huge collection and plan on making a wall out of it some day.  It is small, inexpensive, and everyone is different.

Mwe got my parents a christmas tree ornament from a few cities.

My MIL takes a picture and frames it for us when she goes on trips.  It is usually scenery so is always a welcome addition to our home. 

• I like to stock up on wine and food, especially pasta. Occasionally I will purchase a non-food item (i.e. in Venice we bought traditional Venetian masks). I also always try to purchase at least one Christmas ornament from every trip.
  • Whatever the country's specialty is.  For that age group, I would look at what they are into and how to relate that to the country. 
  • We usually try to find an ornament as well.  The other thing we collect is shot glasses from the places that we've been.
    Anniversary

• Not typically.  If there's something that stands out as perfect for a friend/family, then yes (just bought crazy beautiful champagne flutes in Venice for my BFF who just got engaged and is awesome and deserves the splurge).  But all the time?  No.  That said, I do bring my dog home some kind of toy or 'eating present' anytime I leave her (which is rare).

ETA: ok, I guess Venice isn't "international" for me, but she lives in the States, so I'll have to ship them home, so size/weight is a consideration. 

• I suck at souveniers and only buy them if I find something I know the person will like. I try not to buy a souvenier just to buy a souvenier. Hawaii was the easiest...coffee! Most everyone I bought for liked coffee. Otherwise they got chocolate covered mac nuts. My dad does wear tshirts that he is given, so I do get him one if I can.

Also on big trips, we always buy our dog a new collar, something that represents where we are: Hawaii-hibiscus print; Montana-a rugged outdoorsy one with reflective stripe; Delaware-crab print; Key West- handmade by a lady there, plaid print.

• I always pick up jewelry. Nothing crazy expensive usually something from fun street vendors. Plus it's small and easy to pack.

I also try to find something based on what that person likes. I brought my Dad home a giant FCB football towel from Barcelona. He's always by the pool. He loved it.

• I usually go with the food items that are local - Chocolate from Europe, candy and chopsticks from Japan, delft ware christmas ornaments or something from Amsterdam, chocolate covered coffee beans and cafe rica from Costa Rica, Ice wine from germany (I take bubble wrap to pack it in before putting in the suitcase.). Depends on where you are going. For myself i always like to get an ornament or something I can hang on my christmas tree.
  • When we were in Europe recently we tried to find local specialties and bring those home.  Not sure where in the med. you'll be, but things like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, limoncello, blown glass (real Murano glass must be certified and they have to give you the cert. FYI), etc.  Not sure if your kids are close but we brought home all the ingredients to make an Italian meal so we could invite people over and didn't have to buy several of each thing.  It is a great way to share some of the culture and tell about your trip =]