Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cannes & Provence?

We are going on a cruise in 25 days and we have no real interest in Cannes and Provence (marseilles) but I think thats also because we dont really know what there is to do. Do you know any fun things to do in Cannes, France or Provence, France? Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cannes & Provence?

• Marseilles itself is kind of an 'industrial'(ish) port town.  I've heard it called the Naples (It) of France, which seemed fair (and I'm not a Naples hater obviously, but the criticisms of it being dirty/rough(ish)/"real" are, IMO, true).  Not sure where you're from in the States, but both cities kind of have the "working port" feel of Baltimore.  

Probably the prettiest part of Marseilles, IMO, was the harbor and the Cathedral (St Mary's, I believe).  It's enough for a port call, but I wouldn't extend there.

Cannes is ok too, the water is beautiful.  If you like movies, you can see the famous theatre (I'm not into it, so I just looked from the outside).  Plenty of high-end shopping.  Overall, I like Nice better as far as a city on the Riviera, but again, it certain has enough for a nice stroll and lunch.  It definitely feels like the French Riviera :).

Provence, like the countryside, is beautiful too, but might be tricky w/o a car.  I've never done it w/o a car, so I'm not much help with public transportation options, sorry.   

• There are many lovely areas to visit and explore in Provence! My two favorite towns in Provence are Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Roussillon. Also, I recommend that you make a visit to the Pont du Gard as it was spectacular!

I have two entries in my travel blog on Provence here and here.

• sorry about the format from my phone but our cruise stopped in cannes. i found it to be very disappointing. we took the train to antibe, walked along the water and enjoyed a wonderful lunch. the city is small but adorable and a fun place to pass a few hours.
  • image VABeach08:

Marseilles itself is kind of an 'industrial'(ish) port town.  I've heard it called the Naples (It) of France, which seemed fair (and I'm not a Naples hater obviously, but the criticisms of it being dirty/rough(ish)/"real" are, IMO, true).  Not sure where you're from in the States, but both cities kind of have the "working port" feel of Baltimore.  

Provence, like the countryside, is beautiful too, but might be tricky w/o a car.  I've never done it w/o a car, so I'm not much help with public transportation options, sorry.   

I agree with all of this except that I would still rather spend time in Baltimore than Marseilles.  Marseilles is very dirty, run down and has some sketchy areas...Provence is lovely.  I don't know how much time you have, but the train from Marseilles to Aix-en-Provence is about 45 minutes and it's a very short and direct walk from the train station to the main street in town.  Aix is beautiful and would be a great place to spend 4+ hours.

[url=http://www.journeyswithjess.com//]Journeys with Jess Travel Blog[/url]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1577a4.aspx[/img][/url]
  • We just got back from our cruise that stopped in both places.  If I were to do it again I would sleep in, have a nice leisurely breakfast, and then head off the boat later in the morning or early afternoon in Cannes.  The beach is right there and is quite pretty, so I would just spend a couple hours there reading, swimming, and enjoying the view.  I'd also walk into town before or after and see some of the shops and restaurants, get a feel for the town, have something to eat, and see where the film festival is for a picture.  

In Marseille the entire port is torn up do to construction and, depending on the time of day and how many other cruise ships are there, can be a bit of a nightmare.  You can't just get off and walk into town so a shuttle is necessary.  Our NCL ship had a shuttle for $15 RT that we took.  We walked the edge of the water, saw the little fish market, and wandered our way up to Notre Dam De La Garde.  It is a bit of a hike uphill to get there, but near the docks where the shuttle dropped off you can pay to ride up in a little "train" instead.  We walked and it wasn't terrible, although the weather may be hot and humid when you're there so it depends.  The view from the top was gorgeous. 

IMO these are two "rest" ports on the itinerary because the rest of the cruise was so port intensive with places we had to go and see all day to get the most out of it.  I'm sure Aix en Provence, Arles, Nice, etc are all lovely but byt the time you factor in the drive to/from and the time you get off and have to be back on the ship, all that running around just didn't seem worth it to us those days.  I enjoyed both cities and liked just experiencing the atmosphere and a couple small sites.