I lurk on other boards and one girl posted about working and how there are jobs available but no on is applying for them. And then another agreed. They were saying that they aren't sure that there are no jobs but that there are a lot of jobs people won't do.
This irritates me to no end!
Lets look at a couple of scenarios-
1. H- H has a B.S. Little experience in the field, but is passionate about his line of work. He has applied well over 150 jobs. Gotten any? No. Even interviewed-Nope. Then he did get one, but it wasn't posted, it was by word of mouth and I believe that had someone not put in a good word for him, he wouldn't of gotten it.
2. My dad- My dad is a great man. Smart?-No He graduated high school but never had any college. Why? cause it wasn't the thing young men did back in those days. Could he go back now? Yes. But I don't think he would pass any of them as he can barely spell, let alone type a paper. So he is left with factory jobs. Which yes it is good for him, BUT he also has a family to support. Also no one wants to hire a 55 yr old man with or without the experience.
3. My mom-SUPER SMART- has a B.S. in Business, and a M.A in Fraud. Her ideal job would be to work for the FBI catching criminals. She has a job now working for insurance but would love to use her degree. She has applied well over 100 jobs. Hired for any of them-Nope.
4. Tara- Tara is ovb. a qualified teacher as she has been a teacher before. She even has a M.A. IDK how many jobs she has applied for but she is getting interviewed-YAY. Getting hired-not yet. But she is clearly searching for any jobs that she can do. Megan is similar to Tara.
5. I applied for over 60 jobs in different fields. I got one interview and got the job. But the places that I was qualified for or even met every single criteria, I didn't even get interviewed before I was rejected.
Here I name 6 different people all searching for jobs. Busting their butts to make ends meet and most of us just want to help the world. So when someone says, oh there are jobs.... people aren't applying- I do not think that this is true at all. I don't care what your political stance is. The truth is that there are no jobs for some people, and I know most of us are willing to go out of our discipline just to make some money to pay our bills. So don't sit there in your ivory tower and tell me that there are jobs and that people are not applying. I also think that yes there are sh!t jobs that can't keep staffed, but with those jobs the burn our rate is super high and the pay is super low. If there is no support to avoid the burn out, then how do you expect people to sign up for that?
Sorry this got long. It just really got under my skin.