Upstate NY Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

pharmaceutical commercials

Can anyone explain this to me?

Why do pharmaceutical companies advertise their prescription drugs on television for the general public?  If I, "have to ask (my) doctor about (such and such)" then it's time for a new doctor! 

What am I missing???  

Re: pharmaceutical commercials

• What's even sicker is the amount of money and time the pharmaceutical reps spend trying to get Dr's to prescribe the medications.  Its like the stuff might not even work.. but they do all they can to get the Dr's to prescribe it.. Its ridiculous.

I see your point about the commercials too, but I do think there is a plus side to having the different option of medications "out there" for people to consider.. especially if it is something where there are several different options.  

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    image babies
    baby growth
  • It brings up the topic of certain health topics and makes it "ok" or easier for people to bring up to their doctor.  Sure, a doctor can look at your blood work and decide if you BP, Choles, Gluc levels are high.  But it is often more difficult to discover if someone is having urinary incontinence, impotence, depression, etc.  Being on tv and seeing people on tv talk about it may make people more open to discuss with their doctor.

Also, the competition factor.  Maybe you are on drug for a condition.  But you don't like a side effect, the cost, or you just want the next best thing.  See the commercial for your same condition, hear the hype, and ask the doctor.

• image KonnubialKat:

Can anyone explain this to me?

Why do pharmaceutical companies advertise their prescription drugs on television for the general public?  If I, "have to ask (my) doctor about (such and such)" then it's time for a new doctor! 

What am I missing???  

this is a huge pet peeve of mine. ditto what Kat said above.. my Dr should be the one suggesting drugs not the other way around.

and why did everyone get all upset because the Dr guy who invented the artificial heart was promoting a drug in a commercial? because he really isn't a Dr?, so, neither are the pipe people that tell you you shouldn't have to pee every hour, or the allergy bumble bee, or the bouncing anti depression ball...

makes no sense to me.

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/2r4lydz.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfa2df.aspx[/img][/url]