9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

how do you list self employeed on your resume?

For the past (almost year) I've been "self employed."  Basically I've worked for about 5-6 people on a part time basis as a personal assistant doing everything from running errands to office/clerical work.  I have the job description down fine but do I just put:

Personal Assistant

Self Employed

09/2011 to Present

??? Does that look OK

If it makes a different, the position I am applying for is another PA role.  Thanks!

Re: how do you list self employeed on your resume?

• No. I consider self-employed to be if you had your own business. I'd list it more as a part-time or freelance role. Something like:

Freelance Personal Assistant              9/11 to present

Supported 6 (executives?) in (field/industry) in a personal assistant role

Coordinated schedules, etc...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • Hmmm interesting.  It is my own business.  I work for 6 individuals who are not connected to each other.
  • If it is a business, do you have a name for the business? I have my own business, so I list Business Name, Owner & Director as my title. Then I describe what I do, Private Voice & Piano Lessons, and the established date for my business. Would any of that work for you?
  • Ditto berklee then. You didn't state in your OP that you owned your own business, and I read it as you more or less freelanced yourself out. Then I'd do it more as:

Owner, Company Name                   9/11 to present

Sole proprietor of [Company name], providing executive support to individuals and companies/agencies in the fields of X, Y, and Z

List duties/accomplishments

Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • image Dr.Loretta:

Ditto berklee then. You didn't state in your OP that you owned your own business, and I read it as you more or less freelanced yourself out. Then I'd do it more as:

Owner, Company Name                   9/11 to present

Sole proprietor of [Company name], providing executive support to individuals and companies/agencies in the fields of X, Y, and Z

List duties/accomplishments

My bad.  I thought self employed was the same thing.

• image Obsession:

My bad.  I thought self employed was the same thing.

Own your own business = self-employed

Do occasional (or even regular) work for a variety of people = freelance (not self-employed)

I freelance. I work on projects for my former company and their sister offices if/when a need arises. However, I do not own a business where I actively seek out companies to work with.

Don't drink the water.
  • Yup my husband wanted me to LLC because he is a worrywart and didn't want any chances of someone coming after personal assets.  It seemed like a waste of money to me but whatever.

And I am always actively seeking new clients.  Hence the resume!

• I ditto the wise advice of the PPs... I also work on my own but do not own my own company - I list myself as "Independent Contractor" as I work on a contract basis with those companies who hire me.  When the contract (or project) is complete, my time with them is done.  GL to you!
    Dori image
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • image JMay:
    I ditto the wise advice of the PPs... I also work on my own but do not own my own company - I list myself as "Independent Contractor" as I work on a contract basis with those companies who hire me.  When the contract (or project) is complete, my time with them is done.  GL to you!

THIS. IC is the most common term for self-employed and it looks much better on resume.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers