Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

bike helmets

I have been bored with my workout routine so I bought a bike off of Craigslist and thought I would give it a try.  I was at Target today looking at helmets and was confused. I know that they are to sit on top of your head and not like a hat, but even so, I thought that they were squeezing the brains out of my head.  I have always had a big head and rarely find hats that fit me.  

Should they be this tight?  Do they make them for people with big noggins? 

my read shelf:
Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: bike helmets

  • Sure; they make large helmets.  You might need to go to a legit bike shop though.  I worked at Specialized for a while, and if I'm remembering correctly, the M helmets fit almost 90% of people.  S and L are for the other 10%, so they can be hard to find.
  • No, it shouldn't be uncomfortably tight.  It shouldn't flop around, but it shouldn't squeeze.  If it's uncomfortable, you won't want to wear it, and that's no good.

    Head to a bike shop where you can try on not only different sizes, but also different brands and styles.  Some are better for people with rounder heads, some are better for people with more oval heads, etc.

    Also, don't feel compelled to drop a ton of money on your helmet if you don't want to.  Generally spending more money gets you a better ventilated, lighter weight helmet, but it's not really safer.  As long as you wear it correctly, all bike helmets have to meet the same safety standards.  A $40 helmet will do you as much good as the $150+ helmets.

  • I also have a freakishly large head and have trouble finding helmets that fit properly.  I finally found one for around $40 at Sportsman's Warehouse, but I'm not sure of the brand. 
  • DH has this problem.  Helmets at Target, etc, do not work for him.  We get ours at REI, and have been very happy with them.

     Also, Target helmets tend to adjust with elastic, which then squeezes uncomfortablly IMO.  Nicer ones have an adjustable back part so it fits you perfectly and doesn't squeeze. 

  • Head to your local bike shop. They can help fit you for a helmet. As suzyd said, $40 helmets have to meet the same safety standards as the $150 helmets. Think of a helmet like running shoes. You wouldn't go to Walmart/Target to buy your running shoes, you'd go to the local running store. Same with a bike helmet.
  • Thanks ladies.  I will check out my local bike shop.  I was just afraid that they will be uber expensive and since I am not sure if this will be a big passion for me, I don't want to break the bank until I am sure I am going to stick with it.  
    my read shelf:
    Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards