9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Application ?...May not contact employer

So, DH and I aggressively applying out of state, as we want to move and settle back "home" where our family is.  However, I can be open with my employer regarding my intentions of wanting to move, etc. Dh can't/isn't.

So....on applications when it says "May we contact this employer?" if we say NO, does that poorly reflect on him and his chances of being considered?  Additionally, what do we put for supervisor's name and number?  Dh is strongly against putting that information on there "just in case" they call/confirm employment and word gets back to his supervisor.  He doesn't want it to negatively impact him in his current rold if the applied position doesn't pan out.

What are your thoughts??

Re: Application ?...May not contact employer

• Lots of applicants state no, simply because they do not wish that their boss know they're looking for another job.

Bosses and management can get nasty and very divisive once they find out an employee is seeking another job (only exception: your company is going out of business or closing up shop and everybody there is actively seeking a job and it's well known)

It follows no supervisor's name and number --- I am sure that your husband has several excellent references at his current workplace that can vouch for his work. Those are the numbers he is to give -- make sure it's a home number, a cell number or an email addy not connected witht the company.

And lots of companies won't even contact a current boss, for that reason. Tons of legal implications, plus the boss can get nasty and lie about an employee's performance, if the boss is that pissed off the employee is looking for a job.
  • I'm in HR and people put NO on their online apps all the time if they are currently employed.  We definitely understand that contacting the employer could turn messy for the applicant.  We call for verification of employment after an offer has been extended.
  • image cm10/10:
    I'm in HR and people put NO on their online apps all the time if they are currently employed.  We definitely understand that contacting the employer could turn messy for the applicant.  We call for verification of employment after an offer has been extended.

This.

They don't call for references until they are really close to making an offer, or if they're stuck between two candidates.  He can reasonably say not to contact current employer until at the offer stage and with his knowledge and consent. It doesn't reflect poorly on him at all. (if it does he's weeded out already and wouldn't want to work there anyway).

It is a shame his employer isn't open minded. Like yours, they have more time to hire, you might be around to train, you'll be better invested in a smooth transition. 

Sarah's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)