Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

AlouetteBeans

I finished the supervision work and am now on to final comprehensive program exam papers.

Current focus: using the MMPI-II with returning veterans diagnosed with PTSD (no surprise why I have that topic)

Whatcha got for me?  ; )

Re: AlouetteBeans

• As far as using it as a diagnostic? I don't remember too much other than the basics about the mmpi, other than my assessment class. I do know that using such a long test with anyone having difficulty concentrating (depression, poor motivation, anything like that) is not too great because it's just do overwhelming. Using beck depression or anxiety tests can be better for that. 

Do you have a more specific question? I could probably go a million ways with this.

Treatment wise- CBT is good for some issues with PTSD, although exposure therapy specifically is good- journaling, telling the story, etc etc. I have some experience with EMDR, which some people argue is really just exposure therapy and not completely evidence based, but for me personally it was much more intense exposure therapy than just journaling or re-telling. "debriefing" which used to be big is really only helpful to stabilize people like solders, fire fighters, police, etc when they have to go back into a situation before they can really deal with it. I am personally really big into expressive arts, especially with kids although adults can get really into it as well.  

I feel like I'm rambling and not answering your question lol.

Also, all my sources for this are in a box somewhere. I could drag them out if you like. I did sooo many papers about PTSD  

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • image AlouetteBeans:

As far as using it as a diagnostic? I don't remember too much other than the basics about the mmpi, other than my assessment class. I do know that using such a long test with anyone having difficulty concentrating (depression, poor motivation, anything like that) is not too great because it's just do overwhelming. Using beck depression or anxiety tests can be better for that. 

Do you have a more specific question? I could probably go a million ways with this.

Treatment wise- CBT is good for some issues with PTSD, although exposure therapy specifically is good- journaling, telling the story, etc etc. I have some experience with EMDR, which some people argue is really just exposure therapy and not completely evidence based, but for me personally it was much more intense exposure therapy than just journaling or re-telling. "debriefing" which used to be big is really only helpful to stabilize people like solders, fire fighters, police, etc when they have to go back into a situation before they can really deal with it. I am personally really big into expressive arts, especially with kids although adults can get really into it as well.  

I feel like I'm rambling and not answering your question lol.

Also, all my sources for this are in a box somewhere. I could drag them out if you like. I did sooo many papers about PTSD  

haha rambling? yes. unhelpful? no.

A paraphrase of my prompt is: Discuss the literature surrounding the use of the MMPI-II and returning veterans with PTSD.

This could be a comparative response highlighting the different scales or even different wars (e.g. Vietnam veterans with PTSD vs. Iraq veterans). It could also just be an overall literature review or analysis. Possibilities are kind of endless but the focus is mainly around the MMPI-II so i think incorporating treatment approaches is not the goal for this one.

FYI: I ultimately have to memorize an outline of the paper I create (including in-text citations) and regurgitate it in a computer lab on May 12. 

I just wanted to see what you'd have to say. haha. No need to drag out your boxes of references.

• Tbh, I don't really know what the literature says. Surprising enough to me (considering how much research I did on PTSD), I don't think I really looked too deep into using that test with vets. I guess most of my emphasis was more in the realm of treatment and outcome measures. Sorry! 

I would be super interested to hear about your research or read your paper if you were willing. Sounds super interesting.  

I changed my name
  • image AlouetteBeans:

Tbh, I don't really know what the literature says. Surprising enough to me (considering how much research I did on PTSD), I don't think I really looked too deep into using that test with vets. I guess most of my emphasis was more in the realm of treatment and outcome measures. Sorry! 

I would be super interested to hear about your research or read your paper if you were willing. Sounds super interesting.  

I'll let you know what I find. I already did a similar paper on this but focused a lot on the Pk and Ps scales- designed specifically to measure PTSD- and less on the literature surrounding the MMPI-II overall. I wrote it in the beginning of grad school though and after looking back over it I decided I need to just start over (there were so many pen marks from my professor I figured i'd be better off  trying again). haha

Thanks for the info and your encouragement! 

(and be ready for a giant post on May 12 after I finish my exam) 

• I look forward to it! Good luck. 

Im geek-ily excited to get back to doing some research. Lol 

I changed my name
  • hehe

let me know if you get to start in July! 

• image j&sr:

hehe

let me know if you get to start in July! 

I'll probably shout it from the rooftops bc it would mean one less year! Lol
    I changed my name