9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Becoming Licensed Psychologist / Counselor issue...

Hi All...

I completed my MA in Psychology 10 years ago.  At the time, I wanted to focus on social research (as I was woking in the field at the time), so I finished my degree with a thesis instead of a practicum and supervision hours.  As my career has progressed, I've had many opportunities to counsel, but not in a licensed capacity.  I'm interested in becoming licensed now, and here is where the problem lies.

I've been told by 3 schools I've contacted that my MA is too "old" to be considered for credit in their program.  I would essentially have to start a new MA degree or move onto a PhD/PsyD program.  I had been hoping that with a few extra classes I could jump right in to earning my supervision hours.  Is this naive?  I did not just focus on research and have plenty of counseling classes under my belt - I can't imagine that theory and practice have changed so drastically in 10 years that my education and experience would count for nothing...

Any advice?

Thanks everyone!

Dori image
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!

Re: Becoming Licensed Psychologist / Counselor issue...

• I know this is probably not helpful advice but ....

My advice would be dont do it. There is not a lot of job security in being a licensed psychologist/counselor. Im a psychology grad too and I feel like I have completly wasted all those years i went to school. I am now going back for pharmacy.

If you have to start over, pick something with more job security... Thats my opinion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My advice would be to contact your state licensing boards and ask them what you need to do to apply and meet their criteria. I'm an LPC, and at the time I was going through the process, the number of supervision and contact hours depended a lot on whether you were a graduate of an accredited program. 

As for the job security referenced by pp, that's going to be dependent upon your area and flexibility. I've (knock on wood) never had a problem finding a job. Might not be the hours, pay, or exact position I want, but things like crisis work and substance abuse counseling always seems to have openings somewhere. Of course it is much more challenging to find something to get the experience and hours needed for your license, and much easier once you have it.

Good luck! 

When people are the most unlovable is usually when they need it the most.
    Steps on My Spiritual Journey
  • image paula4596:

As for the job security referenced by pp, that's going to be dependent upon your area and flexibility. I've (knock on wood) never had a problem finding a job. Might not be the hours, pay, or exact position I want, but things like crisis work and substance abuse counseling always seems to have openings somewhere. Of course it is much more challenging to find something to get the experience and hours needed for your license, and much easier once you have it.

Good luck! 

That's really interesting... I've always been able to get jobs in crisis or SA.  So I wouldn't need to jump through any more hoops to continue that.  I've also had good luck with state run public health programs.  I was hoping to set up my own practice though, without getting a PhD.  I'm just not that into the clinical work - more interested in MFT etc.  I'll contact the state board - there's not much info on their website so maybe talking to a live person is the way to go.  Thanks ladies!

Dori image
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!