Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pay Shift

Hi Ladies,
I have a question.
My husband is a E5 but is currently only receiving pay for E4 status even though he made E5 on the advancement exam in NOV of last year..
You ladies have any thoughts on how we should handle this??
Or can tell me how long it takes them to pay him E5 rank??

Re: Pay Shift

• It takes a while before they start getting paid after they have been promoted. Usually, they get it around June, so wait til then at least. 
  • Has he actually sewn on the E5 yet?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What branch of the military is he in? What I said is how it happens for the Navy, it takes 6 months. 
  • He is Navy :) Thanks for all the help ladies any other thoughts would be great.
  • That's what I thought since you said he got promoted November. I can assure you that he isn't the only one right now getting paid the promoted rate yet, all the other sailors who were recently promoted are waiting as well. 
  • I'm not really familiar with how it works for the enlisted side, but I know for officers, the command announces who is going to be promoted but they don't actually pin on for a few more months. Then they get the pay raise. That's why I was asking.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemeltoine:
    I'm not really familiar with how it works for the enlisted side, but I know for officers, the command announces who is going to be promoted but they don't actually pin on for a few more months. Then they get the pay raise. That's why I was asking.

It's the same for the enlisted side too. They get a line number and only so many are promoted per month. DH found out he made E-5 last fall but he wouldn't have actually sewed it on until the summer with his long line number. I also believe that you get a lower line number the longer you have been in. So for DH he was near the end, even though he scored in the top 98% because of his time in service...or lack thereof.

Valid question. 

ETA: DH is AF and I know Mel's is too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In the Navy, they take the exam in September. Find out around November whether they're getting promoted or not then not long after that, they get frocked. Thus isn't the actual date of promotion but it allows the SM to assume the role and responsibilities of the higher rank/rate they are being promoted to. Then pay kicks in about 6 months later.
  • imagekara811:
    In the Navy, they take the exam in September. Find out around November whether they're getting promoted or not then not long after that, they get frocked. Thus isn't the actual date of promotion but it allows the SM to assume the role and responsibilities of the higher rank/rate they are being promoted to. Then pay kicks in about 6 months later.
    Unless they have missed an exam for a deployment (idk if ship or sub sailors ever miss exams) if they get promoted but missed an exam the promotion can be back dated to the missed exam cycle. Does that sentence make sense?
    [IMG]http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/SammyN0709/your-ecards.jpg[/IMG]