Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected].

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

New with a running question :)

Hello, I'm shay. I have never been really into running but I want to start.

Can I have some tips on how to start and improved?

I have went the last two weeks and ran two miles in 20 mins about 4-5 times a week and throwing in some strength training in with it. I feel amazing starting and just want to keep going (my husbands in the military and runs a lot I would love to get to where we could go running together, but he is deployed so I want to start while he is gone)

What are your work out routines like?  

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: New with a running question :)

• A lot of newbie runners like the C25K routines.  It builds up your endurance...since you are running now, see where you are and adjust accordingly.  This routine does 30 minutes of running/walking 3X a week and there are transitions to 10Ks and more.  You can aim for strength training on off days or in conjunction for 3-4X a week, depending on your workout time availability.  
  • When I started running, the C25K program wasn't quite challenging enough (I had some fitness already) so I did a C210K program I found on SparkPeople in some random person's blog.  It worked great for me.  Once I was able to run for 30 minutes without difficulty I just started running and making up my own schedule.  I don't strength train but am planning to add that in now that my first half is over.  
  • I agree with the C210K program.  I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago.  I did the C25K program about two years ago and fell off the running train several months ago.  I want to ease back in but the C25K just feels way too easy.  The C210K looks awesome for what I want to do and might be really useful to you.

The intervals build up your endurance and strength so you can run longer and longer distances.  

• If you're already running 2 miles, you may want to jump into Hal Higdon's 5k program.
  • First of thank you lady's soo much for the advise. I love the idea of the hal higdons 5k program, and the C25k. I'm looking in to them now. Thanks so much for the advise. I'm pretty excited to go to the gym now having a idea what I'm going to do! :) 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers