Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Tell me about your favorite running/exercise route

1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least?

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?

4. Do you feel safe?

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
Upcoming Races
Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA

Re: Tell me about your favorite running/exercise route

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Rural with a dash of suburbia

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? Best- It's challenging. It's a good long run out and back with a bunch of hills and a steady incline over a 4 miles stretch in one direction. Worst- it's the only one around. I get tired of it during training. Oh, and if it's windy the wind is like ALWAYS in your face through the meadowy areas, and tries to be in charge.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?Yep! Every time I go out there I see/meet the usual/different people doing different things.

4. Do you feel safe? Yes. I've been on the trail pretty much every hour it's been open, and never once have I felt endangered or threatened.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Traffic at the road crossings because they definitely don't yield. Then I'd say loose dogs, though that hasn't happened in about 2 years now. Then my unfounded fear of falling through a bridge that spans a train track valley 100 ft above the ground.
    Holiday Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?

Rural 

Peaceful, mixed up terrain (flat, straight, hilly, dirt road, paved road, trees, neighborhoods, etc) 

There is a 3 mile stretch that is very popular (as popular as it can be for the middle of VT!) that sees the most action in the summer.  Mostly I would say in a 10 mile stretch I will see maybe 10 others either running, walking, or biking? 

4. Do you feel safe?

100% 

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? 

Animals, traffic (though not enough traffic to make me worried), the dark (only because I am a wuss).  I never feel unsafe or like there are any threats other than bad weather occasionally. 

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Suburban to the core. It's a 10 mile bypass with trail that is not yet opened to traffic and it under construction in some parts.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? Best: Similar to pp, it's hilly and challenging. It is also pretty scenic and peaceful. This will change when it opens to traffic. Worst, again, like pp it is WINDY. It is also pretty desolate.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? Hardly at all. During a 11 mile run on a Sunday morning I may see 3 other people. It blows my mind that more people don't utilize it.

4. Do you feel safe? For the most part.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Realistically, Canada geese. Those suckers are mean. Unrealistically, lurking kidnappers. I could be dead and buried before anyone realized I was gone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • My favorite one is at my IL's house, but I'll answer for my favorite local one. 

1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Rural

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? Best: It is flat and there is almost always a good breeze. Least: Part of it is a bike path that is adjacent to a noisy road.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? Some, but not as many as one would expect.

4. Do you feel safe? Not especially. I usually only run on it with my H.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Definitely lurking ax murderers or zombies or something. My town has a low crime rate, but I have major paranoia about running alone.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Rural, in the mountains

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? It's very secluded, and the views are gorgeous.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?  One of the trails is pretty well ridden; the others are a bit more remote.

4. Do you feel safe? Yes. I always ride with someone on these trails in case something happens since there is not always cell service.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Probably an accident and help not getting there for a few hours. Some of the trails are really out there.

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Urban - I love to run along the river in my city.  There's a path that leads out to city's main park system.  It's great.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? The river and the people watching are the best!  Least?  It's not well lit at night and breezes aren't forthcoming all the time.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? Why yes.

4. Do you feel safe? Yup! 

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Volume.  I did see a nasty crash involving a biker one day.  For the most part, people understand the stay to the right rule, but this was a blind turn down a small hill - very easy for bikers and runners to pick up a lot of speed and then hit something hard. 
  • 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?  Urban, you can see downtown.

2. What do you like best about it? It's really pretty, beautiful landscaping.  There is a concrete path as well as softer pedestrian path.  Lots of water fountains.  What do you like least?   All the yuppies power-walking 3-4 people abreast with their Starbucks.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?  Yes, in fact I try to get there early in the morning before it gets too crowded.

4. Do you feel safe?  In general yes.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor?   Bikers that don't announce themselves and try to be Lance Armstrong on the 3.5 mi trail.

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?  Mostly suburban

2. What do you like best about it? It's a nice, varied road ride.  Hills, fast flat, easy to add or drop mileage with loops and route choices What do you like least? There's a freeway offramp/onramp crossing that can get hairy.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?   Certain portions have lots of runners; other portions have cyclists.

4. Do you feel safe?  Yes.  Good cellphone coverage and places to stop if I have a flat or mechanical issue.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor?  Idiot drivers who disregard other people - they will look you in the eye and pull out in front of you anyway.

image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? right now it's along the wharf.  5K route that it very pretty and new terrain for me.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? Most: it's by the ocean, which isn't something i get to see much in COLeast: It's HUMID.  Ugh, I feel so slimy when I'm done.  So not used to that.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? tons of other runners/bikers/rollerbladers/walkers/families

4. Do you feel safe? As safe as I can being 8000 miles from home. 

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Probably that I'm so far away from home, and I don't know the "locals" well.  I would hope that if something were to happen, someone would help me.  But I guess this is a threat everywhere when you run by yourself.

Bazinga!

Liz's Yarn

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Outdoor, urban and rural.  The route starts near downtown and our local riverwalk area, circles around a park, links up to a state trail and from there I can even continue onto the Ice Age Trail for a great challenge.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least?  There's so much to see - very hard to get bored.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?  Always.

4. Do you feel safe?   Yes, but I've had some concerns, although I think they are all in my head.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor?  Around the riverwalk, it is the fearless ducks - they will fly right at you.  In the areas linking the riverwalk to the trails you have to watch out for traffic.  

Jack Donovan, b. Christmas Eve, 2009.

image monkeybuttjunction image

• image Gummybear:

1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?

Suburban, a 13 mile trail that starts right in my neighborhood. 

Its so convenient, completely paved & walled off from the street. There are several big hills, which is great. What I like least is all of the stoplights in the first two miles - messes with my pace. 

Yes, at least one or two people every mile. 

4. Do you feel safe?

For the most part - I only run in the daylight though. 

Lurking ax murderers :). It is a heavily populated path, but there are some very secluded spots that I'm always on-guard in. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Urban

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? My main route takes me down to the beach. Coming back means I have to go up 234 stairs. If I do a long run (over 10 or so) I'll choose a route that doesn't include going back up at the end of my run.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? All of the time!

4. Do you feel safe? Yes. Actually, there was a murder right on the route that I run. It made me a little skeeved but I'm not sure what happened to her. It could have been someone she knew. She was not a runner, but out walking the beach by herself at night.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? I think terrain. The stairs are very steep and could be dangerous if you aren't careful.

• image Gummybear:

1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? We live in the suburbs, but the trail feels more rural.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? It is a pretty area, with some wildlife (not a fan of the turkey buzzards though... they creep me out). It is extremely challenging, which I love and hate. The hills have made me a much better runner, but sometimes I want a nice easy run! One of the longer hills is half a mile long and really steep. It's ridiculous. No race I've ever done has come remotely close to being as hilly as my home trail. 

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? All the time.

4. Do you feel safe? Most of the time, but I never let my guard down. I only run the paved trail alone. There are awesome technical/dirt trails, but I save those for when I run with a friend.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? I know trails in our area are a common place for drug deals :/ I also worry about twisting my ankle or falling, b/c I am a total klutz! Last Summer, I was attacked by bees, so I guess that would be a danger too. 

Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?  My favorite place is where my parents live. Rural farmland.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least?  Best thing?  It's FLAT.  It's also very serene and beautiful.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?  Never. 

4. Do you feel safe?  I do not just because it's so isolated and there aren't a lot of houses.  I never go alone.  My dad or DH will follow me on a bike or car (depending on the weather).

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor?  Crazy people.  All I can think of when I'm out there is that poor woman in Montana.  You just never know.

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor?  suburban

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least?  I like the gorgeous and mostly expensive houses, the beautiful old trees, and the quickly changing scenery.  I hate the sidewalks (see below). 

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it?  Tons.  The area is known for being extremely health conscious.  I never run the area (even in the winter) without seeing at least a half a dozen people also working out.  We all smile, wave, and say hi or make some small comment when we pass.

4. Do you feel safe?  Yes, extremely.  The crime rate there is among the lowest in the city and it's heavily patrolled since they have money. 

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The sidewalks.  They are old and have suffered from tree roots and the ground shifting over the years.  Sometimes the sidewalks disappear.

• 1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Suburban developments in my town.

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? the variety, changes in terrain (flat and a mix of hills)

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? Yes..early morning runners/walkers are out which is a nice site.

4. Do you feel safe? yes..never had any issues

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Running while crossing streets and watching for unattentive drivers. A few weeks ago I was crossing a street and saw a car pass, the driver was concentrating too much on lighting his cigarette that he never put his blinker on and almost hit me.

• I don't get to run on it too often, but my fave is the C&O Canal, which is about 20 minutes from my house.

1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? - rural

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? - Best - I like that it's not a road, it runs by a river and is very wooded, and is beautiful and serene.  Least - that I have to drive to it to get there and most of the time I'm too lazy to do that so I just run in my neighborhood   

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? - yes 

4. Do you feel safe? - for the most part.  Once I get a couple of miles from the trailhead though, the people really start to thin out and you're literally in the middle of nowhere, that can be a little intimidating. 

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? - I'd say either animals or lurking ax murderers.  I've seen some questionable looking people before, but they never bothered me. 

• I have two so I'll answer for both.  

1. Is it urban, suburban, rural, indoor? Urban/Urban

2. What do you like best about it? What do you like least? Best (Route a): It gets me to the gym so I can box or kickbox. Least: There are a ton of cars and people don't pay attention to runners/walkers. Best (Route B): It has a ton of different paths, so it's always different even though it's all one area. Least: depending on weather, it can be really dirty.

3. Do you see other runners/walkers/bikers on it? Route A:  Usually. It's lunch time in a business area. Route B: Yes, depends on the particular path how frequently.

4. Do you feel safe? Route A: Yes. Route B: Most of the time. I don't run during the hours that I would feel unsafe, and if I have an off feeling about certain routes I skip then in favor of one that feels better that day.

5. What would you say is the biggest threat? The dark, the terrain, lurking ax murderers, traffic, animals, stinky TM neighbor? Route A: Drivers not paying attention. I was almost hit by a car turning right the other day (I had the green walk, she had a green light) because she didn't bother looking for a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Route B: ax murderers, meth heads, general miscreants, weirdos.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2ivjh92.jpg[/IMG]