Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dog owners

Bentley has fleas. (fucck!) He is on a preventive, but I guess it didn't fully help. We live in an apartment so it's going to be super hard to control because we can't treat the grass.

Any suggestions on how to kill the fleas that are already on him/in the house and also to keep them away? 

Thanks!

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/15np005.jpg[/IMG]

3/?

Re: Dog owners

• Prevention kills fleas once they bite. Not before. Sucks, doesn't it? Neem oil in their shampoo worked for me until my vet gave me a shampoo.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • image LemonLover33:
    Prevention kills fleas once they bite. Not before. Sucks, doesn't it? Neem oil in their shampoo worked for me until my vet gave me a shampoo.

Man, they should really rename that shiit. No advice for ya, but that does suck! Hopefully you get it handled quickly and easily!! 

• Lots of baths, even more vacuuming your house, and make sure you empty the vacuum after every round into a secure bag, just incase any survive. They like to lay eggs in carpets and furniture, once hatched, you can get a whole new round of fleas who want to feast on your dog. 

Sorry. I feel your pain. Sam had them a couple years ago. and it took for-ev-er for us to get rid of them. I still have the scars from having to bathe our cat. Not fun.  

• image Killer Cupcake:

I've read heat is good. 

If you have a steamer, steam everything in your house that you cant boil on the highest setting. Then vacuum it and empty the bag/canister, outside, into a trash bag and throw it away. Repeat. 

I've heard this too.  My dad's dog had fleas this fall.  He vaccumed a lot.

[IMG]http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/SammyN0709/your-ecards.jpg[/IMG]
  • The Vet I worked at used a Capstar pill to rid the actual pet of fleas for 24 hours while you work to get the environment as flea free as possible. Also, if you bought the prevention medication at a vet some have guarantees and you can get another dose of it free. What brand did you use?
    [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/rka6nk.jpg[/IMG]
    6/50
  • I've used those carpet sprays, vacuuming, shampoos in conjuntion with the flea drops (I think you have to wait a few days after the shampoo to do the drops)

I had the same problems with the grass in the apartments. I have to stop using the grass right in front of my apartment because the lady that lived below me did not care about fleas (yuck) and her dogs were always infested. I had to find a new grass area.

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • image JillyWtP:

I've used those carpet sprays, vacuuming, shampoos in conjuntion with the flea drops (I think you have to wait a few days after the shampoo to do the drops)

I had the same problems with the grass in the apartments. I have to stop using the grass right in front of my apartment because the lady that lived below me did not care about fleas (yuck) and her dogs were always infested. I had to find a new grass area.

I think it's all the grass. Every pet owner in our building has fleas. H is going up to the office tomorrow to see if they'll treat the grass since we paid a pet fee, deposit and a monthly pet rent. 

Our vet told us to use Ivromectin (an injectable) and just squirt it in his mouth (since I don't want to give him a shot every month). It's worked for the last year and a half, I guess we just weren't so lucky this time.

ETA: We're going to wash him with Dawn. We also got some spray for him and spray for the furniture and the carpet. 

3/?
  • image ericandmarie:
    image JillyWtP:

I've used those carpet sprays, vacuuming, shampoos in conjuntion with the flea drops (I think you have to wait a few days after the shampoo to do the drops)

I think it's all the grass. Every pet owner in our building has fleas. H is going up to the office tomorrow to see if they'll treat the grass since we paid a pet fee, deposit and a monthly pet rent. 

Our vet told us to use Ivromectin (an injectable) and just squirt it in his mouth (since I don't want to give him a shot every month). It's worked for the last year and a half, I guess we just weren't so lucky this time.

ETA: We're going to wash him with Dawn. We also got some spray for him and spray for the furniture and the carpet. 

when I was dealing with it, I had thought about doing a super secret mission in the middle of the night to treat the grass, lol. My apartment refused to do anything with the grass.

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • image JillyWtP:
    image ericandmarie:
    image JillyWtP:

when I was dealing with it, I had thought about doing a super secret mission in the middle of the night to treat the grass, lol. My apartment refused to do anything with the grass.

If they don't treat the grass, I'd definitely do it! Though, H said he's going to try and argue the whole "why are we paying a monthly pet rent on top of our reg rent" thing. 

3/?
  • OK my dog had fleas in the fall.. it was terrible because he sleeps with me and a few times I woke up turned down the covers and there were a couple of those nasty little f'ers!  We put him on Revolution, it works well and once you have it going for a few months it really can control/prevent/stop a problem.  We also sprayed inside and out - twice.  And the KEY which others have mentioned is to VACUUM, I literally vacuumed 2x a day for a month straight. It may seem excessive but it's not. One flea can lay like 150 eggs, and they can lay dormant for a long time without dying or hatching... the vibrations of the vacuum help them hatch and then you vacuum them up.  Eventually we also boraxed the carpet and that seems to have done it's job superbly. 

Also I did stop walking him in certain areas.  Avoid areas that are shady/underneath bushes/in dead foliage.  Fleas usually are not in places that get direct sunlight.

I swear I am like a PRO after the problem we had.

Vacuum!!!! 

• As a groomer, we see this more and more as fleas become immune to the common products used for prevention. First, bomb the house. Ideally, have your dog at a groomer getting a flea bath while your house is getting bombed. You can get the bombs at WalMart and do it yorself. If you cannot afford a groomer, bomb the house, then carry your dog right into the tub. Give your dog a bath with straight green apple dawn. Make sure you douse his ears and tail/private areas in the dawn before getting your dog wet, as they will immediately run to these areas to hide from the water. Make sure it sits for at least 8 minutes and you see no movement of fleas. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Treat your dog with advantix or sentinal, as frontline is the most commonly used prevention and most fleas are immune to it now. Hope you figure it out!