Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mexico--are you worried?

We just booked a vacation to Puerto Vallarta for April.  Despite what has happened there re: crime, I am not worried about our safety.  Are you avoiding certain places because of what has been happening there?

**edited to add:  certain places within Mexico

Paranoid motherfuuckers: All your pics and info are now on Pinterest. Have fun finding them! +SMACE+ lEliStar cnthrdlywt2bwZ lshoes32 jackiback Quesera Muffin0 c_joy angelaa73 MontereyBride coughing hairballs Mofongo Pennywisetheclown scottydont DawnMarie11 ToledoDeux LucyHoneychrrch caseyandlizzie MaryWithoutSound nursecramer Mamasaurus Pumpkin30 dowagercountess &natch tabernac

Re: Mexico--are you worried?

• only some parts of the middle east

• south-central Somalia.
    "We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • Afghanistan.
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zi3sxi.jpg[/IMG]
  • Re: Mexico, there was a great post a few weeks ago: http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/63469595.aspx

As for places I'm currently avoiding:

Iran - I'm irrationally afraid of being imprisoned as a spy

Ethiopia - One of my good friends was there a month ago when the four tourists were killed in the north, so it bothered me more than most events like this. Also, he ended up hospitalized for a week with a mystery disease when he got back. I need a few months for all this to fade a bit in memory.

Costa cruises - You know that ship drifting around pirate waters off the coast of Seychelles? I was on the same cruise last year. On top of the Concordia tragedy, I don't plan to sail Costa for a while. I didn't really like the cruise line anyway, and my ship didn't even sink or malfunction!

...on the flip side, I have a strong desire to actually go to the DRC to see Nyiragongo. Embarrassed
  • Where in Mexico? Tijiuana? Maybe?

That's like saying are you scared to be in the US because of the school shooting in Ohio...and me living in Chicago. 

It all depends on exact location

• I would not be going to PV right now. Still planning on going to PDC/Tulum/Akumal this spring unless something changes.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Jalisco Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta are the major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoac?n and Zacatecas.  You should also exercise caution when traveling at night outside of cities in the remaining portions of this state.  The security situation along the Michoac?n and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable and gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur.  Concerns include roadblocks placed by individuals posing as police or military personnel and recent gun battles between rival TCOs involving automatic weapons. 

• image hz80408:

Where in Mexico? Tijiuana? Maybe?

That's like saying are you scared to be in the US because of the school shooting in Ohio...and me living in Chicago. 

I know a lot of people say that, and it's annoying, but OP didn't say anything along those lines. She just asked if people are avoiding certain areas. That's a legit question. 

• image emilyinchile:
    image hz80408:

Where in Mexico? Tijiuana? Maybe?

I know a lot of people say that, and it's annoying, but OP didn't say anything along those lines. She just asked if people are avoiding certain areas. That's a legit question. 

Oops, yes, I agree.  I guess I skimmed the actual OP too quickly and just referenced the title of the post
  • image MrsD2006:

I would not be going to PV right now. Still planning on going to PDC/Tulum/Akumal this spring unless something changes.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Jalisco Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta are the major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoac?n and Zacatecas.  You should also exercise caution when traveling at night outside of cities in the remaining portions of this state.  The security situation along the Michoac?n and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable and gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur.  Concerns include roadblocks placed by individuals posing as police or military personnel and recent gun battles between rival TCOs involving automatic weapons. 

I'm confused. That warning doesn't say to avoid PV. It says to avoid the Michoacan Jalisco border and the Zacatecas Jalisco border. PV is nowhere near either of those borders. It is near the border with Nayarit. Are you referring to something else?

Guadalajara is totally safe. My husband was there with a bunch of Mexican political candidates last week. No armored vehicles or bodyguards in sight. If you are familiar with how DOS lays out these statements it is clear that they name those cities for reference, not because they think you shouldn't visit them.  

"We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • I wouldn't be scared to go to Cabo or Cancun, because it's essentially landing at the airport and then you're in the resort town, but unfortunately I wouldn't feel comfortable driving to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco.

Anytime I see that it recommends you only stay on the main highway and drive during daylight to get to your destination, I'm going to give it a side eye. Now that I have a kid, I'm just not willing to take that risk.

U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Pe?asco are urged to use the Lukeville, Arizona/Sonoyta, Sonora border crossing, in order to limit driving through Mexico, and to limit travel to main roads during daylight hours. 

Hmm 

• Yes, there are areas in Mexico that I would skip because of safety issues. There are also areas where I would not be concerned at all. Before planning an itinerary there, I would look closely at the state department website to make sure the areas that I was considering visiting appear to be safe.
    [IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2t9he.jpg[/IMG]
  • image **sunny**:
    Anytime I see that it recommends you only stay on the main highway and drive during daylight to get to your destination, I'm going to give it a side eye.
    I'm a little confused by this. You're that keen on driving after dark and exploring side roads that you wouldn't visit a place where you can't do that???

This is pretty much the guidelines for Mozambique, and my friends ignored both warnings. We got stopped by the camo guys with big guns the first night, and we blew out tires and got stuck in the sand on the poorly-developed back roads. However, I wouldn't tell someone not to go at all! All the daylight driving on main roads was just fine! The guidelines told us what was unsafe, and we would have been just fine if we'd heeded them.
  • no, in the 10 years i'veb een going every december i haven't ever worried. i do avoid places i have no business going-such as crime ridden areas, dark alleys alone at night, etc... the norm.
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  I meant "Are you avoiding certain places within Mexico."
    Paranoid motherfuuckers: All your pics and info are now on Pinterest. Have fun finding them! +SMACE+ lEliStar cnthrdlywt2bwZ lshoes32 jackiback Quesera Muffin0 c_joy angelaa73 MontereyBride coughing hairballs Mofongo Pennywisetheclown scottydont DawnMarie11 ToledoDeux LucyHoneychrrch caseyandlizzie MaryWithoutSound nursecramer Mamasaurus Pumpkin30 dowagercountess &natch tabernac
  • image GilliC:
    image **sunny**:
    Anytime I see that it recommends you only stay on the main highway and drive during daylight to get to your destination, I'm going to give it a side eye.
    I'm a little confused by this. You're that keen on driving after dark and exploring side roads that you wouldn't visit a place where you can't do that???

This is pretty much the guidelines for Mozambique, and my friends ignored both warnings. We got stopped by the camo guys with big guns the first night, and we blew out tires and got stuck in the sand on the poorly-developed back roads. However, I wouldn't tell someone not to go at all! All the daylight driving on main roads was just fine! The guidelines told us what was unsafe, and we would have been just fine if we'd heeded them.

LOL

I'm not going to apologize for being weirded out by taking my child to a specific place where you aren't supposed to get off the highway or drive at night...sorry but those are 2 normal activities that, if recommended against, indicate to me a concern for safety overall. I wasn't telling anyone else what to do and I clearly didn't say I would avoid the entire country because of it. I talked about areas I would feel comfortable visiting and provided an example of the reason I'm avoiding the closest area to me.

• image Amoura+:
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  I meant "Are you avoiding certain places within Mexico."

My FI read about the 22 people robbed at gunpoint on a Carnival Cruise excursion outside of Puerta Vallarta.  I got nervous because my best friend is getting married in Cancun but did some research and found out that the Maya Riviera is very safe.  I was relieved!

PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • edited to remove duplicate post
  • image Ciardasully:

image Amoura+:
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  I meant "Are you avoiding certain places within Mexico."

My FI read about the 22 people robbed at gunpoint on a Carnival Cruise excursion outside of Puerta Vallarta.  I got nervous because my best friend is getting married in Cancun but did some research and found out that the Maya Riviera is very safe.  I was relieved!

I also did some research and I am quite comfortable with our destination choice.  My husband and I have done a lot of traveling over the years and the reality is that these kind of things can happen anywhere.

Have fun at your friend's wedding!  Cancun is a lovely place.  We stayed at Club Med there.  Fantastic time. 

• image **sunny**:

image GilliC:
    image **sunny**:

LOL

I'm not going to apologize for being weirded out by taking my child to a specific place where you aren't supposed to get off the highway or drive at night...sorry but those are 2 normal activities that, if recommended against, indicate to me a concern for safety overall. I wasn't telling anyone else what to do and I clearly didn't say I would avoid the entire country because of it. I talked about areas I would feel comfortable visiting and provided an example of the reason I'm avoiding the closest area to me.

I wasn't criticizing; I was just genuinely confused. As an analogy, I've seen plenty of warnings not to wander around Central Park after dark, so would you also avoid it during the day? Presumably there's a reason that the warning is specifically for nighttime.
  • So Gilli, are you avoiding all of Ethiopia because of the border violence? Not that you were probably planning on going there very soon anyways, but as you know DH is Ethiopian and he wouldn't be going anywhere near those areas either...but Ethiopia in general isn't particularly unsafe right now.