Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

The Hunger Games (spoilers possible)

Ok....so these books are so addicting, I read all three in a week! Problem is, my book club doesn't meet to talk about the FIRST book until late in March. Urgh.

So, just in case anyone's read them, I have to know-- what did you think of the ending? I thought it was very realistic and true to the story...and sad.

But I also thought the thing with Peeta and Katniss at the end was a little rushed and unfulfilling. Anyone else have thoughts?

Re: The Hunger Games (spoilers possible)

• I felt the same way as you about the ending: realistic and sad. I don't feel like the Katniss and Peeta thing was rushed, just that it was imperfect, as it was destined to be after all they'd been through.

image image image image 

My Blog

Anniversary
  • I loved the ending. I know a lot of people had problems with it, but I thought it was perfect.

If you want to discuss it in more detail we can, but you should put a series spoiler tag in your title just in case people who haven't finished the series open this post. I don't want to give any details just in case.

• I wasn't a fan at all of the ending.  I agree that I thought it was rushed and anticlimatic.  I know that the author was trying to depict what war can do to you, but this third book was a complete letdown to me.
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zi3sxi.jpg[/IMG]
  • The first time I read it I didn't care for it.  However I've read it 3 times now and it makes more sense each time I read it.  Like PP said, it was imperfect, but that's kind of how the whole story went.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• SERIES SPOILERS BELOW

I liked the ending, but I agree it seemed rushed.  After all that time and all they had been through I could have used a little more detail on their happiness there are the end, even if it was imperfect.  :)  I loved the line "You love me, real or not real?" and Katniss says real.  Oh and I LOVED that she shot Coin instead of Snow, but they both died!  That was an awesome twist IMO. 

my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • fabkfabk member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    I love this series and liked the end. I think it was realistic for everything that happend.  I am hoping to get mh to listen to the first audiobook tomorrow on our 8 hour drive.
  • I liked the ending.  I, too, felt it was a bit rushed but I really think it ended the way it should.  WIth all of the events they had been through, there was bound to be bumps in the road and an imperfect relationship.

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• SPOILERS BELOW FOR SERIES 

When I read the series the first time, Mockingjay was by far my least favorite and I hated the ending.  I wanted more about Katniss and Peeta's relationship.

I just re-read them over the weekend, though, and this time -- I loved Mockingjay.  Of course I WANT more about Katniss and Peeta, but I felt fulfilled.

Here's how I'm thinking about it.  What I really wanted was to know that Peeta's absolute, blind love for Katniss came back.  But as I thought about it, that love was the sort of childlike love that often goes away as a person matures (in Peeta's case, that process was just drastically accelerated).  I think the love that Peeta and Katniss developed at the end of Mockingjay was a more mature love and one where they were more equal than they had been before.

Looking back at the last few chapters of the book, you can start to see the old Peeta emerging.  I love when Peeta says to Katniss, "You're still trying to protect me, aren't you?" and she says, "Yes.  Because that's what we do."  Then, when Katniss is trying to take the "nightlock" pill after she shoots Coin, Peeta is the one that stops her -- he's assumed his old role of protecting Katniss.   I also loved the, "You love me.  Real or not real?"  When I first read it, I thought he was really asking (the same way he did when he first started that game), but now I see it more as him sort of teasing her -- I picture him asking her that question with a shy smile on his face.  I think he knew the answer to the question, but he was sort of phrasing it in a way that acknowledged their new shared experiences.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I hate to be the spoiler police here, but the subject of this post REALLY REALLY needs to say Series Spoilers or Mockingjay Spoilers, or it should be at the top of your individual posts - lots of people are in the middle of reading this series right now and a lot of you guys have basically spelled out the last chapter word for word.

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• image 84Lauren:

I hate to be the spoiler police here, but the subject of this post REALLY REALLY needs to say Series Spoilers or Mockingjay Spoilers, or it should be at the top of your individual posts - lots of people are in the middle of reading this series right now and a lot of you guys have basically spelled out the last chapter word for word.

You're right, Lauren.  Sorry. 

I just assumed the spoilers possible in the title was enough, but it makes sense that it's not.  I edited my post to include a spoiler warning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image DarcyLongfellow:
    image 84Lauren:

I hate to be the spoiler police here, but the subject of this post REALLY REALLY needs to say Series Spoilers or Mockingjay Spoilers, or it should be at the top of your individual posts - lots of people are in the middle of reading this series right now and a lot of you guys have basically spelled out the last chapter word for word.

You're right, Lauren.  Sorry. 

I just assumed the spoilers possible in the title was enough, but it makes sense that it's not.  I edited my post to include a spoiler warning.

No worries!  It's always a little confusing when the name of one specific book is the same of the name of the series, these were just such huge spoilers I had to say something :)

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage