Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Funny HP meme

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this but I just saw it today and found it quite funny..

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Funny HP meme

• Time travel is complicated.

Like a day before the first time I saw this meme, I got into a HEATED debate with a co-worker about this very topic. I tried to state my argument, which is that in Buckbeak's case, he'd never *actually* died, so no one was saving him -- they weren't changing history, they were just doing what they'd already done. But in the case of Harry's parents, they couldn't go back in time and change anything, because if they had, it would have already been changed. So maybe someone DID try to save Harry's parents with a timeturner, but something went terribly wrong, and in the end they died anyway, so the timeturner travel didn't work, so everything stayed the same (and of course it did - because if they could have changed it, then it would have been changed).

Which just goes to show that I am a huge dork and spend entirely too much time thinking about Harry Potter and time travel.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34pclz7.png[/IMG]
  • I also debated MYSELF on this very issue.  I came to the same conclusion as you though. Smile The funniest thing I think about this meme is I can hear Dumbledore's voice saying it which makes it super amusing to me..

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• image bnlchic03:

Time travel is complicated.

Like a day before the first time I saw this meme, I got into a HEATED debate with a co-worker about this very topic. I tried to state my argument, which is that in Buckbeak's case, he'd never *actually* died, so no one was saving him -- they weren't changing history, they were just doing what they'd already done. But in the case of Harry's parents, they couldn't go back in time and change anything, because if they had, it would have already been changed. So maybe someone DID try to save Harry's parents with a timeturner, but something went terribly wrong, and in the end they died anyway, so the timeturner travel didn't work, so everything stayed the same (and of course it did - because if they could have changed it, then it would have been changed).

Which just goes to show that I am a huge dork and spend entirely too much time thinking about Harry Potter and time travel.

Yes

Time travel clicked into place for me when I read the Time Traveler's Wife, and it totally made me "get" this.  If you think of it not as playing a tape, then rewinding it and playing it again - but as one continuous tape that YOU can jump to a different place in, but never actually gets rewound and continues moving forward no matter where you are on the tape, it makes sense.  Buckbeak never died in the first place - if H & H hadn't gone back in time, he would have died.  But they did.  So at the moment the executioner came out of the house, "future" H&H were there.

This works for me on Outlander too, by the way :)  Whenever someone proposes a different, Back-to-the-Future-esque theory of time travel I will seriously get stabby about how my way is the "real" way... you know, in reality.  Where time travel exists.  Wink

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• image 84Lauren:
    you know, in reality.  Where time travel exists.  Wink

I love you.  

With Outlander, I tend to think of time as circular.  Where the rings meet and touch are where the gates exist, like the stone dance in Scotland that Claire accidentally travels through.  Each ring is about 200 years in diameter.  It just makes it easier to visualize in my head.  Your mileage may vary. 

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• Love this discussion. :) I spend entirely too much time thinking about time travel. I even have a time travel shelf on Goodreads. Embarrassed

While I'm not a fan of multiple-timelines (e.g. Back to the Future), would that even work in this case? I forget but I thought the time-turner only works backwards. So someone would have to go back, save Harry's parents, and then live out Harry's whole lifetime in realtime? (like Detective Inspector Shipton in the "Blink" episode of Dr.Who)

On a side note, my favorite application of time-travel is actually in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure when they need the keys and say, "In the future, we'll travel back in time and put them behind this sign. See? Here they are!"
  • fabkfabk member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    image 84Lauren:
    image bnlchic03:

Yes

Time travel clicked into place for me when I read the Time Traveler's Wife, and it totally made me "get" this.  If you think of it not as playing a tape, then rewinding it and playing it again - but as one continuous tape that YOU can jump to a different place in, but never actually gets rewound and continues moving forward no matter where you are on the tape, it makes sense.  Buckbeak never died in the first place - if H & H hadn't gone back in time, he would have died.  But they did.  So at the moment the executioner came out of the house, "future" H&H were there.

This works for me on Outlander too, by the way :)  Whenever someone proposes a different, Back-to-the-Future-esque theory of time travel I will seriously get stabby about how my way is the "real" way... you know, in reality.  Where time travel exists.  Wink

I see time travel in pretty much the same way. You can't change it, you can just live it out.

• image 84Lauren:
    image bnlchic03:

Yes

Yes!  I think the POA movie gets this across by Hermoine hearing a twig snap & looking back.  She says something like, "I thought I saw..."  She heard the twig that future Harry (I believe it was Harry) broke.