Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NYTimes story - how to pack for 10 days in a carry on

I'm guessing many of the seasoned travelers on here probably do this already, but I figured I'd share for the newbies. 

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: NYTimes story - how to pack for 10 days in a carry on

• I think she overpacked Stick out tongue
  • I do too but I thought seeing the rolling technique in pics might help someone.
  • I love packing for long trips in a carry on sized bag! I did 11 nights in China last spring in a carry on and had room to pack lots of souvenirs on the way home.  It was so nice not worrying about luggage!  I recently did a week in Hawaii in a carry on and that was only impressive because I packed our DSLR backpack bag in my carry on and it took up 1/3 of the space. 

Rolling clothes really saves on space.   

That is one reason I am not looking forward to traveling with a baby-our days of light packing will be over :( 

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt13b546.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image Katy&KT:

That is one reason I am not looking forward to traveling with a baby-our days of light packing will be over :( 

The one good thing about traveling with kids is that at least you can really pack plenty of clothes and it doesn't take up much room. I packed my daughter's stuff in ziploc bags to get it all compressed since it was too small to roll.

Also, they never check what's inside the bag when you check a carseat so we've stashed diapers and such in there. On our last trip we actually put a booster seat in there.

• The rolling technique definitely works- I just wish DH would listen. Since he's a visual learner, maybe he'll get the point if I show him this slideshow.

I've checked in bags only once in my adult life (to our 7 day winter trip to Paris). I wanted to be fashionable and have lots of options during the trip- and of course that's when we lose our luggage. AHH! We got the bag back 17 days later, back home. I will never check-in anything ever again. 

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/6glwjs.jpg[/IMG]

<a href="http://www.bulawanten.blogspot.com/"> BulaWanten </a>
  • I really wonder if that carry on meets the carry on weight restrictions.  For Qantas it is 7kg (15 lbs).  It has been that on most international carriers I've flown. 

The last time I flew domestically in the US there were no carry on weight restrictions.  Is that still true, ,or have they changed it?

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/i/ie6m2rqto.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • image aMrsin09:

I really wonder if that carry on meets the carry on weight restrictions.  For Qantas it is 7kg (15 lbs).  It has been that on most international carriers I've flown. 

The last time I flew domestically in the US there were no carry on weight restrictions.  Is that still true, ,or have they changed it?

Really - only 15 pounds?  Heck, most carry-ons weight 8 -10 pounds!

• image DaringMiss:
    image aMrsin09:

I really wonder if that carry on meets the carry on weight restrictions.  For Qantas it is 7kg (15 lbs).  It has been that on most international carriers I've flown. 

Just flew AirAsia and they have a 7kg limit on carry-ons.  The check in desk questioned DH's standard sized carry on, but didn't make us pay any extra for it.  Hopefully it works the same going back.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • image DaringMiss:
    image aMrsin09:

International airlines DO enforce the carry-on weight limit and it tends to be under 15 lbs..  Its not fun travelling with DH because his carry-on has his CPAP machine and the laptop and it ALWAYS over the weight limit and they always try to get us to check the bag.  Even if I only take 2 pairs of shoes (pack 1 and wear 1) I cannot do 10 days with european standard size carry-on.  My clothes are just too damn big!! Being a size 16 with a shoe size of 11 does not contribute to small items to pack :)  And it doesnt help that we travel during the winter months so we need warmer clothes.  I could probably do a beach vacation for 10 days with just a carry-on...but I hate the beach so thats not going to happen anytime soon!

Meine Welt... Meine Welt... Und die Liebe die wird rot Und der Hass schwarz wie der Tod Ich mach' das so wie's mir gef
  • image Killer Cupcake:
    image aMrsin09:

I flew Southwest with just a carry on yesterday and nobody ever questioned the weight of my bag. It was at least 20 pounds.  

The carry-on weight limit for United/Continental is 40 or 45 lbs. I saw the number on my boarding pass and freaked out that they'd lowered the luggage limit (when I had a 50-lb) suitcase, and the I saw that it was for hand luggage! I couldn't believe it! I bet Southwest's limit is equally high.

Most European airlines have strict limits around 20 lbs (7-10 kg) and I have definitely had a carry-on like hers weighed and rejected more than once. She writes for Gadling and when they published this a few years ago, my first thought was "but it's the weight, not the space that's the problem!"
  • I always run into weight problems before size problems too. I've travelled for up to two weeks with a European carry-on (10kg, 55cm x 40cm x 20cm). Having a kindle helps! I think the woman in the slideshow seriously overpacked too.

It's definitely easier in warmer weather and if we aren't doing anything unusual... we're heading to Portugal in May for a wedding and didn't pay for a checked bag and I'm questioning this. DH's dress shoes alone take up a ton of space. 

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks, Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a big fan of putting the heavy crap in a big purse hidden behind my back at check in. After they weigh my carry on I redistribute. I've never had them weigh my handbag.
  • image aMrsin09:

I never heard of this before (I don't fly internationally often).  We're flying to New Zealand in a few weeks and I was going to try to make everything fit in a carry on.  Seeing that we have three flights to get to Christchurch, I would rather have my luggage with me.

I just checked and their limit is 15 pounds.  Sad  It's still going in the carry on sized luggage but will be checked.  Bummer.  Thanks for the heads up.

• image Publius:
    I'm a big fan of putting the heavy crap in a big purse hidden behind my back at check in. After they weigh my carry on I redistribute. I've never had them weigh my handbag.

Yup! I've flown DC to Istanbul with the 8kg limit 4 times since June and this has never failed me. My little 20 inch roller bag only weighs about 4 lbs and my clothes aren't heavy. Electronics and liquids all go in the purse.  

"We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • image RedPeony:
    image aMrsin09:

I never heard of this before (I don't fly internationally often).  We're flying to New Zealand in a few weeks and I was going to try to make everything fit in a carry on.  Seeing that we have three flights to get to Christchurch, I would rather have my luggage with me.

I just checked and their limit is 15 pounds.  Sad  It's still going in the carry on sized luggage but will be checked.  Bummer.  Thanks for the heads up.

If you're flying Air NZ they definitely will weigh it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

My Travel Blog

• image MDGirl:
    image RedPeony:
    image aMrsin09:

If you're flying Air NZ they definitely will weigh it.

Whoops - I left that part out.  It's Air NZ.  Good to know for what we actually carry on.  And I thought I was a seasoned traveler...

• image RedPeony:
    image aMrsin09:

At Auckland they weigh the bags just as you go through to the gates, now I get why there are always so many irrate Americans who don't understand why more than 7 kg is a problem...

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
  • image Publius:
    I'm a big fan of putting the heavy crap in a big purse hidden behind my back at check in. After they weigh my carry on I redistribute. I've never had them weigh my handbag.

I've had Qantas come through with a hand held scale and if they thought the bag looked like it could carry more than 15 lbs, they weighed it right there again.  So even doing the redistribution could get the bag vetoed.

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/i/ie6m2rqto.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • image aMrsin09:

image Publius:

I've had Qantas come through with a hand held scale and if they thought the bag looked like it could carry more than 15 lbs, they weighed it right there again.  So even doing the redistribution could get the bag vetoed.

I always go the route of "make it look lightweight." Carry it by hand instead of rolling it, wear the backpack the whole time, etc. it was a killer at times (I am not that strong) but I have managed to carry an overweight bag onto a few strict European airlines before. The only times they weighed it were times when it was big or looked heavy.