Bullet point background
- I'm pregnant and due in early-mid July
- My sister is throwing a baby shower & offered to invite MIL's people if she wanted - sister calls MIL to offer
- MIL asks me what I want (her to join or throw her own), I told her it's up to her
- MIL tells me she would prefer to join and not throw her own (too much work, her knees hurt, etc), I said fab - MIL & sister talk, combined shower is set for day in May everyone seems happy
Fast forward to today
My MIL called my husband to ask his advice about showers (to which I laughed because at his own statement, he knows nothing about showers, which is what he told his Mom). MIL asks husband what he thinks about her now throwing her own shower. She says the weekend is busy and there will be too many people at the shower. But she helped set the date and I have no idea where she is getting the number she suggested (80 people - my family is big, but not that big). So I'm flabbergasted - this is the same BS I dealt with for my bridal shower (which is why my sister invited MIL to have a joint shower) and I have no idea how to respond.
Here are my options as I see them
1) Tell her fine, throw your own shower (except my sister likely booked a place based on the number with MIL's people and I feel bad her potentially paying more to just have my MIL back out)
2) Tell her to call my sister and let my sister deal with it (that's a total cop-out, but I know either my sister or mother would deal with my MIL because they want me to be stress-free as it relates to the shower)
3) Ask her what is really going on and why she agreed to a joint shower in the first place on the weekend she agreed if that wasn't what she wanted (seriously, she's 60, why can't she just be an adult?)
4) Any suggestions?
So #2 is out because it is a total cop-out. #1 seems fine - makes the problem go away, but individual problems go away and major problems persist. #3, eh, I don't know - that's the stressful one and I'm not sure it's necessary.
Thoughts? My MIL is a drama cow. The pregnancy is bringing out serious drama cow activity.