Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What's in a name? Opinions needed.

2»

Re: What's in a name? Opinions needed.

• As someone who was named with just the 'shortened' version of a name, I hate it.  I would have loved to have the option to go by my 'full' name or the shortened nick name, especially since my name is easily misunderstood/read.

Anniversary
  • for the love of all things holy, please don't name your daughter katelyn.  if i have one more katelyn, kaitlin, catelyn, katlin or caitlyn in class, i'm going to lose it.

kate irene doesn't flow, though.  is there something else you can do with "kate"? 

• imageLilBlkDress1:

I think you're over thinking this.  Either way you plan on calling her kate, so it won't really matter what's on the birth certificate.

If you call her Kate her whole life she's likely never going to use a "formal" alternative, if she want's to go formal she'd do "Ms Lastname".

Why not just name her what you want to call her?

:::Lurker with insomnia:::

I went by my nickname for 22 years- it wasn't until college graduation and joining the workforce that I started to go by my given name. It's really starting to grow on me though. 

• I strongly prefer Katelyn Irene.  It sounds much better to me
  • Lurker here, but I strongly prefer Kate.  Simple, pretty, and classic. 

Kate can stand alone.  As a teacher, I see wwwaaaaaayyyyy too many Katelyns and it is refreshing to see just "Kate." 

I also don't find Katelyn any more formal than Kate.  In fact, I find it to be less formal because it is kind of trendy and doesn't have the same staying power in my mind.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • One thing to keep in mind is if you call her Kate but name her Katelyn and she grows up disliking being called Katelyn because it's "too formal" or reminds her of being scolded, she will more than likely be called Katelyn by most businesses, schools, and anyone else with whom she'll have an impersonal relationship. For example, I once had a friend's child who preferred to go by their nickname (and it was a similar situation, just a shortening of their given name) and the child's teacher refused to call them by their nickname and said that there was nothing wrong with the child's given name. 

Granted, if such a thing happened you probably would want to talk to the teacher since it is a rather brusque thing to say, but it could easily be a problem in the future and might be something to think about now while you still have a choice.  

• imagebritlovesshoes85:

One thing to keep in mind is if you call her Kate but name her Katelyn and she grows up disliking being called Katelyn because it's "too formal" or reminds her of being scolded, she will more than likely be called Katelyn by most businesses, schools, and anyone else with whom she'll have an impersonal relationship. For example, I once had a friend's child who preferred to go by their nickname (and it was a similar situation, just a shortening of their given name) and the child's teacher refused to call them by their nickname and said that there was nothing wrong with the child's given name. 

Granted, if such a thing happened you probably would want to talk to the teacher since it is a rather brusque thing to say, but it could easily be a problem in the future and might be something to think about now while you still have a choice.  

The exact opposite happens to H. He cannot, for the life of him, get people to call him by his formal name. Everyone automatically shortens it.

I like giving kids options. DD is Catherine. We call her Cate, but we gave her the formal name so she can play around with it when she gets older. 

• Any form of Katelyn has been done to death, plus she will

always have to correct the spelling.

Kate is great.

• imageIrishBrideND:
    imagebritlovesshoes85:

One thing to keep in mind is if you call her Kate but name her Katelyn and she grows up disliking being called Katelyn because it's "too formal" or reminds her of being scolded, she will more than likely be called Katelyn by most businesses, schools, and anyone else with whom she'll have an impersonal relationship. For example, I once had a friend's child who preferred to go by their nickname (and it was a similar situation, just a shortening of their given name) and the child's teacher refused to call them by their nickname and said that there was nothing wrong with the child's given name. 

The exact opposite happens to H. He cannot, for the life of him, get people to call him by his formal name. Everyone automatically shortens it.

I like giving kids options. DD is Catherine. We call her Cate, but we gave her the formal name so she can play around with it when she gets older. 

I've seen that before too where people automatically shorten a formal name, though I would venture to say with "Katelyn" people probably wouldn't shorten it.

I do agree with giving options though. I think it's important to have a name that will allow for multiple nickname options. I like Catherine, but I'm not sure Katelyn will have as many options.