Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Itching while running?

Has this happened to anyone? It only happens to me when I run. I get so itchy!!! My legs, sides, chest etc. 

I haven't switched detergents or lotion or started any new medications or anything. I don't know what it could be! 

BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Re: Itching while running?

• It happens to me too! I usually lube up with Lubriderm or some other thick lotion before going out. It's kinda gross, but it helps.

I swim because I'm too damned sexy for a sport that requires real clothing.
  • When I get itchy I think it's dry skin related. It feels weird though because my skin will be moist (sweat) and still itchy, so it's a different kind of itch. (Or I'm crazy. Good possibility.)

I even find it happens in the gym. I think it's because I lotion in the morning and hit the gym after work (long day at the office in a dry building).

image image
  • Are you fairly new to running?  I used to get super itchy when I wasn't in very good shape.  I always attributed it to increased blood flow to my capillaries, but that could just be something I made up.  Smile  It doesn't happen any more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • I'm not too new to running..but I am new to running consistently. What I read online was what Taratru said about capillaries and blood flow etc. I wonder why this doesn't happen with anything else. Hmm..
  • i wonder if it's from the sweat....i get itchy when i sweat, no matter what's causing it.
    2012 Races:
    Emerald Nuts Midnight Run (4m) 1/1/12
    Coogan's Salsa, Blues, and Shamrocks Run (5k) 3/4/12
    Colon Cancer Challenge (15k) 4/1/12
    Purple Stride NYC (5k) 4/21/12
    Run to Combat Autism (5k) 4/29/12
    RnR Philadelphia (Half Marathon) 9/16/12
  • I get itchy when I have dry skin and then I sweat.
  • I think it's a blood flow/histamine reaction.  I get it now and then, usually on my legs, stomach, and hips/butt.  It itches like the devil!!  I just try and ignore it and try not to scratch too much.
    imageimageimage
    28/60............................ ........................1/5
    {Bringing Home a Baby Gnome - Our Adoption Blog}
    {Gnome on the Run - A Running Blog}
  • You could have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria

I get it occasionally in cold weather. I take an Allegra before I exercise if I think I'm going to get it that day, or I carry one with me. Of course, YMMV and talk to your doctor if you are concerned. 

• I had Pityriasis rosea (it's a rash caused by a virus) once and I was really itchy after running.   Has this always happened or is it a new thing?

• image Sadlebred:

You could have this:

I get it occasionally in cold weather. I take an Allegra before I exercise if I think I'm going to get it that day, or I carry one with me. Of course, YMMV and talk to your doctor if you are concerned. 

What does YMMV mean?  

• image AMJ6511:
    image Sadlebred:

You could have this:

What does YMMV mean?  

Literally, your mileage may vary.

Forum speak, your results may vary. 

Sarah's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I HATE THIS FEELING!  I always attributed it to the extra capillary blood flow when I would start back to running after taking time off. I haven't had it in a while because I run consistently, but it might stir up a little once I get back outside in the warmer weather.  Work through it and your body will adjust. 

I like the idea of exercise uticaria too..

"I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind..."
    imageimageimage
    Recent Races:
    Chicago Half Marathon 9/11/11: 1:58:11 (PR)
    Race for the Cure 10k, Chicago 9/24/11: 51:52 (PR)
    ING New York City Marathon 11/6/11: 4:13:16 (PR)
  • Thank you for all of the responses!