Fashion & Beauty
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

skincare help

I have very oily (and shiny) skin but it's also really flaky. I just can't seem to find a skincare routine that helps with the flakes. I've tried skincare for dry skin (including moisturizers with vitamin E), oily skin, normal skin. I've tried exfoliating, not exfoliating, using cleansing scrubs and using an actual facial scrub. I went to Sephora and was recommended to try Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid Hydrating Gel ( http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Thomas-Roth-Glycolic-Hydrating/dp/B002EEAKLY). I am really at a loss as to what to do. If you have ever had this issue please recommend your products.

While I do have oily skin, I can deal with that. The flaky skin just makes foundation application so difficult. Right now the only foundation I can use that doesn't highlight my flakes is Bare Minerals and even that shows the flakes but any liquid/compressed foundation simply smears across the flakes making them so evident.  Anyway, any recommendations would be helpful.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers ~~PGAL/PAL Welcome~~

Re: skincare help

• I have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry and sometimes flaky cheeks.  Have you ever had a microdermabrasion?  This may help.  If you don't want to pay for that, maybe try an at home kit and see if that works.  What about using a Clarisonic?  I don't have one, but have seen people rave about them.

I had really bad flaking problems one winter where exfoliants weren't helping.  I was on vacation and got a facial, and the esthetician recommended that I use an enzyme exfoliant, which dissolves the flakes, rather than a gritty exfoliant, which can sometimes just push them around but not get rid of them.  I used a product I purchased at the spa and it was really, really great.  I used it for a couple years and forget why I stopped, but the bad dry skin problem hasn't come back.

The product I used was Mary Cohr Lily Essence Mild Exfoliator.

http://groveparkinn.com/Groups/Shopping/Spa_Boutique_1/Mary_Cohr_Products/Mary_Cohr_Cleansers/Lily_Essence_Mild_Exfoliator_Enzymatic_2/

• image Go_Dawgs:

I have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry and sometimes flaky cheeks.  Have you ever had a microdermabrasion?  This may help.  If you don't want to pay for that, maybe try an at home kit and see if that works.  What about using a Clarisonic?  I don't have one, but have seen people rave about them.

I had really bad flaking problems one winter where exfoliants weren't helping.  I was on vacation and got a facial, and the esthetician recommended that I use an enzyme exfoliant, which dissolves the flakes, rather than a gritty exfoliant, which can sometimes just push them around but not get rid of them.  I used a product I purchased at the spa and it was really, really great.  I used it for a couple years and forget why I stopped, but the bad dry skin problem hasn't come back.

The product I used was Mary Cohr Lily Essence Mild Exfoliator.

http://groveparkinn.com/Groups/Shopping/Spa_Boutique_1/Mary_Cohr_Products/Mary_Cohr_Cleansers/Lily_Essence_Mild_Exfoliator_Enzymatic_2/

I've done microdermabrasion  in the past but don't remember if it worked... I might have to try the Clarisonic one if I can't find anything else to help but if I remember correctly it's pretty pricey.  My skin is pretty much oily all over and flaky all over but, like I said, I can deal with oily. 
    Thanks for the link, I might have to try that out. It's about the same price as the gel I'm using now, which is not working and I've been using for over a month now, so it will definitely be worth it to find something that will actually work. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers ~~PGAL/PAL Welcome~~
  • Maybe you have eczema or another skin condition that needs a prescription.  I have oily skin, always have, but I have never had flaky skin except when my skin is super parched in the winter.  Even then, this is very rare.

Can you see a dermatologist?

Do you drink a lot of water every day?  I'd do that in the meantime until you see a doctor.

• I have similar skin---here's what I do:

at night, i was my face and then I use a wash cloth to genty rub away any flakes on my skin---after that, I apply moiturizer and let it sink in.  Then, every other night or so I use the Peter Thoman Roth Max correction pads.  I also spot-treat with Lar roche posay breakout corrector and Proactiv refining mask. More recently I started to use mario badescu buffering lotion.

Basically, my main tip is to use a washcloth to gently slough away dead skin cells and flaky, peeling skin and then apply moisturizer over that. I also sometimes use tweezers to peel away skin that is flaking off.