Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bite of Seattle-worth it?

In a roundabout way, I just found out that the Bite of Seattle takes places on the weekend that my little sis and her bf will be visiting. I've never been, so I'm curious what you think of it. Is it worth going? Is it fun? Is it kid friendly?
image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne

Re: Bite of Seattle-worth it?

• I haven't managed to make it...ex never wanted to go but I think I'm going to try this year! I loved the one in AZ growing up.

Anyone know if its outside here? I don't want to be inside in summer!

• I used to go nearly every year.  I haven't gone for the past few years, but I do like it.  It is kid friendly, but there are a ton of people there.  I think the last time we went, we went fairly early, and that worked out perfect.  We were leaving when everyone else was just getting there.  It can get to be kind of expensive, but you can pick and choose what you want to try.  I think it's worth it. 

Alisha:  Yes, it is outside.  It's at the Seattle Center.

• I'm biased, I grew up working at those things, and I hate them now.  Lots and Lots of people, mediocre food (most of the places in the Bite are restaraunts), and they are expensive.

The Highland games are the next weekend at the King County Fairgrounds, and that is one fair that I love. 

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/rsc77m.jpg[/IMG]

Little Sister is on her way!!
  • Did you just say you are looking for something for Helen that is "kid-friendly"?

I think it's very "Helen Friendly"

Tons of people pushing each other around eating food, in an unorganized fashion with street vendors selling hippie crap

I liked it  Stick out tongue

But I'm glad I experienced it the one time - cuz once was definately enough

Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • we have the skids that weekend too, which is why i wanted to know if it was kid friendly. i figured it was prob kid friendly... but i guess i'm wondering if it is something they will be interested in or bored with.

but if the food is really not all that good... maybe i will just talk dh into going to nola for jazz fest and make helen and her bf meet us there, haha.

image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • I would only take Alex there if I absolutely had his hand in mine the whole time - a child could easily be lost or abdupted there - becareful
    Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • It's something to do...but I don't think we'll go again. Just seems like a lot of street fair vendors...crowded and expensive :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I think the Bite food is like Fair food... I mean it's decent but usually overpriced and not worth the hassle to stand in line and tough out the crowds.  If the weather is nice, it is SO crowded.  So so so crowded.  As I've gotten older, I'm not a crowd person - well minus concert crowds. :)  The skids might like it, but you'd want to make sure to spot out a "meeting point" in case they get lost.  It can happen so quickly with that many people.
  • I've been and enjoyed it but I would like it better if it was a true "bite" event and got tastes of things, not full meal deals.  How the hell am I supposed to try a little of everything if I'm already full from my first stop??
  • hmm, that stinks. its something Dh and i haven't done, but have always thought about it.  the taste of chicago is fabulous and then was a similar thing in a smaller sister-city town we lived at that was great too.  guess we'll pass though.
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • other pv, i don't like big crowds either. why can't they throw special events just for us?? ;o)

• Oh its meals? The one in AZ is bites, all $1-$2 and very gourmet.
    Its starting to sound a little less appealing.
  • Yes, anyone who is going with kids, please be extra careful.  My sister and I got lost there one year.  We went with my dad and we separated for a little bit and were supposed to meet behind one of the booths.  Well, my dad said the name of a booth, but really meant another.  Ugh.  We were relatively young (10 & 12, I think), and it scared the poop out of me.  My sister went to look for him while I waited behind the restaurant and miraculously found him.  It was really scary for me, though.

T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • i think its kinda gross.  it's usually pretty warm and smells like grease...ick. lots of stinky hippie people too...not my cup of tea.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Alisha, yes it's full plates of whatever.  I was disappointed in that too.  My first bite experience was in Orange County...you bought tickets for the food ($1-2 range) and could even walk around with a glass of wine.
  • oh god, seattle would never let you walk around with your drink!
  • This is clearly inferior and poorly run. I'm thinking I'll skip it unless I have a hot date lol.