Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Alternatives to Google?

How do other people feel about Google going all Zuckerberg on us? Are there any decent alternatives to the services Google provides (particularly email, reader, calendar, search, and chat)?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Alternatives to Google?

• Lack of response has me wondering if people don't know what's going on. For anyone that uses google products and wants to be informed about what they will be forced to agree to...a little light reading for you:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/updating-our-privacy-policies-and-terms.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/01/24/google-says-bye-bye-to-user-privacy/

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • am i making this out to be more simple than it is? what i understood was that if, for example, i google search something, its possible that when i log into youtube videos on that topic may come up and i may see ads on the same topic on my gmail? i don't have a big problem with it...it seems like they've been gathering data on us for a long time, but now they are going to share it between amongst all their sites.  i do agree that people should be able to opt out though

image Ridin dirty
  • I have a bigger issue with them collecting information from my email which, unlike facebook or google+, I consider to be very private. Say my friend emails me about getting an abortion and I google search locations for her. Now I'm getting advertisement and links about abortions on every site I go to. Or, some pro-life organization has paid google to plaster the sites I visit with pro-life propaganda. Besides being incredibly creepy, it's also taking a very private conversation and making it public. 

• I have been reading a lot about this and Google just seems totally shady.  I have been using bing and other search engines.  I don't have gmail or anything else google related

One of my FB friends posted a total rant about this, and how he completely strips his Android phone before he uses it.  He sounds a little paranoid, but it was interesting information.  I will see if I can find it

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • To be honest, I rely on Google so heavily that they would have to pretty much put up a billboard in Times Square with my personal information for me to walk away. Exaggerating slightly, but you get my point.

I'm just not that concerned. I honestly believe that this is the wave of the future, and all search will be more customized within the next few years.

As someone who deals with PR and SEO, it sucks. 

• Creepy Google story:  a couple of months ago I was using google maps.  I wasn't logged into anything.  I am reading the directions and it's the usual...bear right here...turn left here blah blah blah.  Then all of the sudden the directions said turn right at Steve X's house.  

I had to read it twice.  I was so creeped out.  How  does Google maps know I know Steve X??  Even though I know I didn't know his address.  Did he even know about this?  So I realized it was because we were Google plus friends.  I asked him if he knew his address was public like that and he didn't.  I'm definitely getting a big brother feeling from them and I don't like it.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image Shannon1110:

Creepy Google story:  a couple of months ago I was using google maps.  I wasn't logged into anything.  I am reading the directions and it's the usual...bear right here...turn left here blah blah blah.  Then all of the sudden the directions said turn right at Steve X's house.  

I had to read it twice.  I was so creeped out.  How  does Google maps know I know Steve X??  Even though I know I didn't know his address.  Did he even know about this?  So I realized it was because we were Google plus friends.  I asked him if he knew his address was public like that and he didn't.  I'm definitely getting a big brother feeling from them and I don't like it.

im guessing that he probably "checked in" at home on google+

image Ridin dirty