Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Baby flat head

Anyone have a kid with this?  We are a little concerned that DS's flat spot should be corrected but the pedi does not seem concerned. Obv we do not leave him on his back all day but we wonder if there is more we should be doing aside from daily tummy time and me wearing him around the house.

Is jpfeifer still around? I know her daughter needed a helmet and I'd be interested in hearing from others who had an eval (with the names of the docs they saw too).

Thanks! 

Re: Baby flat head

• I haven't had an eval but my kid has a slight flat spot at the back/crown of his head.  I had a sick visit to the pedi with him on Monday and mentioned it to her and she said it's totally fine at this point and will begin to correct itself as he gets more and more mobile. 

I think his got that way because his favorite place to be is in his bouncy chair and he's on an angle, but his head is resting on it.  We started him in the Bumbo and his Jumperoo (with towels behind him and a box under his feet) and it seems to be lessening.

GL!

• I got the boppy noggin nest because I had some paranoia about flat spots and the bald spot he is sporting on the back of his head. I would be using it if he is on his back in his play gym or in his cradle swing. I haven't needed an eval, but didn't know if you'd be interested in googling the noggin nest.
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Oliver has a bit of a flat head, and I wish we were more proactive about it in the very beginning. We did take him to CHOP for an eval but it was when he was 10 months old, and that was almost too late for a helmet (although they did say he had a very mild case of it --- we could still tell, though).

It doesn't really bother me all THAT much now b/c he has more hair...I guess my advice is to get a noggin nest and be as proactive as possible...go get an eval early on, if you're nervous about it b/c after a certain age the helmet isn't an option.
    My Boys

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d9vkzn.jpg[/IMG]
  • Thanks, the reviews for the Noggin Nest make it seem worth a $15 investment! I'd never heard of that before.  And I'm calling the pedi to get the name of who they recommend for an eval, 

• Honestly, you couldn't pay me to put my kid in a noggin nest. It's a pillow and pillows aren't safe for newborns.  Also, it's never meant for sleeping.

This is the actual description on boppy's page: 

Our Noggin Nest? Head Support provides comfortable head support. The generous padding in a fashionable print cradles baby?s head to provide all over comfort. Not intended for sleeping. This product is not a medical device and has not been medically proven to reduce "flat head syndrome." It is not intended for this use.  

Honestly, I don't think there's a ton you can do in the beginning other then what you're doing. Rotate his head when you put him down for a nap - turn it slightly on one side then on another so he's not flat on the back of his head.

Also, keep in mind that 1. tummy time will get longer as he ages,  2. he will start holding his head up soon, and 3. there are soft spots in the back of his head that can make you think it's a flat spot when it's really just his skull fusing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Danica had really bad flat head to the point where the ped was like, "you need to keep her upright at all times except for when she was sleeping." Because of keeping her upright all the time, she was sitting up unassisted (without a boppy or bumbo at the end of 4 months. When she was a newborn, she would always sleep with her head tilted on her left side and so the entire left side and back of her head was flat. Keeping her upright all the time really helped and her head is slowly rounding out. It never got to the point where we discussed helmets but it was to the point where they were really concerned about it and we had to make f/u appointments.

I'm also with LD. I would not buy that Noggin Nest thing. Seems scary wrt SIDS. When he is awake, try to keep him upright as much as possible. Even when feeding, make sure he is up and he doesn't have his head resting on that spot.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image larrysdarling:

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to put my kid in a noggin nest. It's a pillow and pillows aren't safe for newborns.  Also, it's never meant for sleeping.

Our Noggin Nest? Head Support provides comfortable head support. The generous padding in a fashionable print cradles baby?s head to provide all over comfort. Not intended for sleeping. This product is not a medical device and has not been medically proven to reduce "flat head syndrome." It is not intended for this use.  

Honestly, I don't think there's a ton you can do in the beginning other then what you're doing. Rotate his head when you put him down for a nap - turn it slightly on one side then on another so he's not flat on the back of his head.

Also, keep in mind that 1. tummy time will get longer as he ages,  2. he will start holding his head up soon, and 3. there are soft spots in the back of his head that can make you think it's a flat spot when it's really just his skull fusing.

This is all true --- you can't put your kid to sleep in the crib with this thing. We used it in Oliver's bouncy seat or playmat only when we were right there with him! (I'm still really anal about this --- Oliver is still in a sleepsak at 20 months). :)

My Boys

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d9vkzn.jpg[/IMG]
  • image eSynergy:
    image larrysdarling:

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to put my kid in a noggin nest. It's a pillow and pillows aren't safe for newborns.  Also, it's never meant for sleeping.

This is all true --- you can't put your kid to sleep in the crib with this thing. We used it in Oliver's bouncy seat or playmat only when we were right there with him! (I'm still really anal about this --- Oliver is still in a sleepsak at 20 months). :)

Exactly - just like with the boppy, you should never use it for sleeping. I have it only for if he sits in the cradle swing for a little bit (if I'm doing something in the room with him) or laying on playmat.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Yes, agree not to put him to sleep with the pillow. But we can't hold him every minute and he likes his swing so if I can give him a little extra support, I'd like to.

I'm going to need BRC's help to find a position in which he is upright when feeding. We're both the most comfortable on the Brest Friend pillow though I try to keep him a bit propped to avoid spit-up. 

• image just_JRM:

Yes, agree not to put him to sleep with the pillow. But we can't hold him every minute and he likes his swing so if I can give him a little extra support, I'd like to.

I'm going to need BRC's help to find a position in which he is upright when feeding. We're both the most comfortable on the Brest Friend pillow though I try to keep him a bit propped to avoid spit-up. 

Are you still nursing?  If so, you can slide either a towel or a small blanket under the side of his head or neck if you're concerned about that. 

• Yep, still nursing - I'll give this a whirl. 

• Good for you! 

I've never tried the MBF pillow - is it hard? I used the boppy which was soft.

If you use the towel or blanket suggestion, don't do it if there's a chance you'll fall asleep, too. 

What you want to do it just get pressure off the side of the head that is having the flat spot problem.

Some other nursing suggestions -

1. hold his head in your hand. So if he's on the left boob, use the cross cradle hold. Support his head with your hand and don't rely on the pillow to support his head.

2.  what type of hold do you use? Football, x cradle, cradle? When his head and neck get stronger this will almost become a non issue b/c you will be able to use the full regular cradle without any nursing pillow. It took probably 3-4 months before we were able to do that though.

3. don't worry about trying to hold him upright while he's nursing unless he's having reflux or spit up problems. It's awkward and uncomfortable for you and IMO might not make too much of a difference.

Also, If he's spitting up a lot, re-evaluate your latch and/or make sure you're burping well. Typically, bf'd babies don't spit up a lot b/c they don't swallow a lot of air. 

Finally, try not to worry. It makes such a difference when they are able to hold their head up on their own more.