Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cats&Dogs Poll

So we've been thinking about getting a dog for awhile now, but have been nervous for our cats' sake. I think my boy cat would be ok with it, but my girl cat is super scardey and I'm afraid she might be a little traumatized by a dog.

So I'm wondering:?

1. Do you have both a cat(s) and a dog(s)?

2. Which did you have first?

3. How did you introduce them to each other to avoid conflict?

4. Do they get along??

5. What kind of dog do you have??

6. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the peace between them??

Re: Cats&Dogs Poll

• 1. Do you have both a cat(s) and a dog(s)? yes

2. Which did you have first? dog

3. How did you introduce them to each other to avoid conflict? We didn't do anything different

4. Do they get along? Yes, for the most part.Our cat is pretty brave though

5. What kind of dog do you have? Welsh corgie terrier mix

6. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the peace between them? maybe having a place just for the cats? A refuge. 

• 1. Do you have both a cat(s) and a dog(s)?  yep

2. Which did you have first?  Dog

3. How did you introduce them to each other to avoid conflict?  Just let the dog sniff out the kitten and her mothering instincts instantly kicked in.

4. Do they get along?   yep, very well

5. What kind of dog do you have?  shiteranian

6. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the peace between them?   I think if you get your new dog as a puppy there shouldnt be a problem, but if its a full grown dog you may have to work at it a bit..

• 1. Do you have both a cat(s) and a dog(s)? Yes

2. Which did you have first? Cats...although in this crew (I have unfortunately lost some kitties although not to the dogs) seniority is Spidey (cat), Parker (dog), Simon (cat), Hank (dog).

3. How did you introduce them to each other to avoid conflict? Let's see...Parker was a puppy so not very threatening. Dane pups are pretty sleepy and clumsy, but we did make sure that the cats had safe places to go and didn't allow him to chase, mouth or squish the cats.

When poor Simon came along he was in his own room for about a week so that they could all get adjusted to smells. I would put a baby gate up later in the week so they could all see each other. He took to Parker sooner than he did my other cat.

Hank was 5 months and 90 lbs of duck-chasing and killing craziness when I got him but I don't recall him noticing the cats. I remember we did make sure again the cats had safe dog-free zones and didn't allow him to chase, pounce, etc on the cats.

4. Do they get along? Yes, very much so. The cats are quite comfortable sleeping on the floor, on a dog bed or in the same bed as the dogs, and Spidey is often rubbing all over Parker.

5. What kind of dog do you have? Great Danes

6. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the peace between them? Choose the dog wisely (some breeds are less likely to do well with cats, some individual dogs may have developed bad cat manners) and establish rules and be in control from the start. Make sure the cats have safe places away from the dog. If needed use baby gates and/or a leash to keep the peace at first. Use verbal correction (eh eh, clapping to startle, etc) and praise to guide your dog's behavior.

Most of my fosters are unknowns with cats and I've never had a problem.

• 1. Do you have both a cat(s) and a dog(s)? Both.

2. Which did you have first? Cats.

3. How did you introduce them to each other to avoid conflict? DH and I would each hold one on our lap and just sit near each other, we'd let them sniff a little, get to know each other a little at a time.

4. Do they get along? Sometimes.  We're still working on it, it has been a very slow process.  Stella is really good with the cats now, its been about 1 1/2 years, Frankie still wants to chase them, but its only been 8 months.

5. What kind of dog do you have? 2 Pugs.

6. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the peace between them? We're just trying to teach the dogs that the cats deserve respect and that the dogs need to be gentle and not chase them.  No chasing is a big thing.

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/rsc77m.jpg[/IMG]

Little Sister is on her way!!
  • We sound exactly the same as you guys.

1.  We have two cats and a 8 month old lab.

2.  We had the girl cat first, then the boy cat, now the dog.

3.  We just brought the puppy home and that was it. 

4.  Mostly.  The boy cat is pretty good with the dog.  He lays on her blanket with her sometimes and stuff like that.  The girl cat took a while, but now comes around her and stuff when she's sleeping and sniffs at her.  It did take a few months for her to really come out, though, when the dog was not in her cage.

5.  Chocolate Lab

6.  I don't. 

T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • Oh yeah, after reading Alisha's reply, I remember that we did use baby gates for a little while so the cats could escape if the dog started chasing them.
    T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.