Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

IUD and No Kids

For those of you that have an IUD and have never had a kid, how long did it take to stop hurting?  It's been almost 2 weeks and I'm still cramping like nobody's business.  I saw the doc today who did an ultrasound to make sure everything was good.  They told me sometimes it can take up to a month and try to get through it.  So, I'm curious of how long it affected others.  TIA.  

Re: IUD and No Kids

• I had the paragard iud inserted 3 1/2 yrs ago. I was a bit crampy the day after but nothing that stopped me from running errands and working out. By the second day I had no discomfort at all.  I have never had a child and I was 32 when I got the IUD. 
    Our Website

Kristi and Kerry June 21,2008

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • I have never had an IUD and I think this is the reason why. I used to cramp so much when I am not on the IUD why would I induce more of that?

It takes a month? I wonder why that is.

• I have an IUD that is almost ready to be replaced. No kids. It's been a while since it was inserted but I remember having cramps for a while afterward...not exactly sure how long sorry :(

I remember they were not unbarable though- and my normal period cramps are EXCRUCIATING. Good thing is...once I got passed that initial cramping- I havent had a period or a cramp for 4 years, and I am LOOOOOVING that.

• image jadeorchid21:

I have never had an IUD and I think this is the reason why. I used to cramp so much when I am not on the IUD why would I induce more of that?

It takes a month? I wonder why that is.

It has to do with the uterus being in shock...my insertion was incredibly painful (as in I don't ever want another IUD it was so bad).  So, my system is still trying to heal from it.  I always had cramps when I wasn't on BCPs and so the past few weeks have been hell with the constant cramps. 

Thanks for the input, ladies!

• I have the Mirena and I'm on my second one. The first time I got it I had severe cramping for a few weeks (3-4ish). The second time I got it put in I had very little cramping at all and was good to do anything a couple hours after. It did get SO much better for me. Stick it out if you can :)!
  • I've had a copper IUD (Nova-T) since October of this year and I'm completely childless. It hurt the first two days and then the pain subsided. The only time I get really bad cramps is when my period comes now and those go away in about a day or two's time. Honestly if you cramp for more than a week I'd ask to get an ultrasound stat. IUDs can pierce the wall of your uterus, and although it's not common it can happen. Also your body could be trying it's hardest to expel the darn thing since it's alien to it. Either way, go see your doctor and tell them you want an ultrasound to see if it's still in place. If it's not then you need to have them take it out as soon as possible. That's what my doctor told me when I got mine put in.
    "Love is more than an emotion, it is a verb you must choose to do everyday." Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had the Mirena inserted a couple weeks ago. 25, no kids. No pain at all after the initial insertion. Wish I could give more advice, I hope it gets better for you!
  • image stacey.taylor:
    For those of you that have an IUD and have never had a kid, how long did it take to stop hurting?  It's been almost 2 weeks and I'm still cramping like nobody's business.  I saw the doc today who did an ultrasound to make sure everything was good.  They told me sometimes it can take up to a month and try to get through it.  So, I'm curious of how long it affected others.  TIA.  

I got my copper-T at seventeen, no kids.  I can't remember how long the cramping lasted.  No more than three months and it tapered as time went on.  Until about two years ago I had TERRIBLE cramping during my period but that has lessened as well.  Hold tight, in my experience and in the experience of my friends, it is the best BC on the market!  Good luck! :-D 

SpotlightSpotlightSpotlight
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker
  • image stacey.taylor:

I got my copper-T at seventeen, no kids.  I can't remember how long the cramping lasted.  No more than three months and it tapered as time went on.  Until about two years ago I had TERRIBLE cramping during my period but that has lessened as well.  Hold tight, in my experience and in the experience of my friends, it is the best BC on the market!  Good luck! :-D 

SpotlightSpotlightSpotlight
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker
  • It took over 6 months to lose the bad cramps but I still get minor cramps 4 years later. 

• I had the copper IUD (Nova-T) for a little over a year. I have no children. The insertion procedure was the most painful thing I have EVER endured. I had cramping for about 3 weeks after insertion and I needed heavy meds and a heating pad to get me thorugh.

My period was much heavier and the cramps were terrible!!! I had it taken out a few months ago and have never been happier.

Also, during sex, when my husband thrusted deeply, it felt like he was hitting something ( for me) and now it doesnt hurt.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers