Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Care packages (poll)

DH will be deploying in the spring. Its still quite a bit away, but I like to be prepared.  Plus, I'm sure there are others with SOs deploying soon that could benifit from this info.  TIA!

-How often did you send/receive care packages?

-Did you send/receive anything other than care packages? How often?

-What was the best item you sent/reveived in a care package?

-What item(s) did not ship well? Any other item(s) to avoid?

-Any other helpful tips for those of us going through the first deployment? For those of us with infants?

Re: Care packages (poll)

• -How often did you send/receive care packages? This deployment, none. DH hasn't been at a single base long enough, and his team's schedule changes often so I am unable to send care packages.

-Did you send/receive anything other than care packages? How often? In his previous deployments I sent care packages and letters every 2-3 weeks. When we were overseas, I sent him packages more frequently since it was free to ship via MPS.

-What was the best item you sent/received in a care package? The last time he was deployed over the holidays I sent a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I've also sent photo calendars of our family and dogs as well. He liked it.  Other than that I sent a lot of snacks or hygiene stuff.

-What item(s) did not ship well? Any other item(s) to avoid? Chocolate, or anything else that will melt or get squished.

-Any other helpful tips for those of us going through the first deployment? For those of us with infants? Stay busy. It makes time go by faster. Since you have a LO, that will help. lol. If you have a good support system around, that helps as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • - I try to send one a week during deployment.  Then for the last month I don't send anything since once the ship starts moving back home mail is almost non-existent.  Sometimes I send more than one if H writes and says he needs me to send something to him ASAP.

-H ordered some protein powder and things like that from a few sites that he had sent to the ship.  But anything that I ordered to have  sent to him I would just send it to me and then put in a package.  A friend of mine sent a big Hickory Farms box to her H last deployment and it was the only package that went missing, so I tend to not want any boxes that would give away what's inside.

-H's favorite things to get are my homemade cookies.  The best way I have found to send cookies is to seal them with our food saver.  He also loves getting new release movies, so a lot of times I would send my packages out on Wednesday or Thursday after new ones came out.

-Chocolate or anything that melts easy generally doesn't ship well.  I still will send some of it to H, but sometimes it's all melted when he gets it.  Also, you are not allowed to ship aerosol sprays or anything like that, so if you do ship them don't put it on the customs form.  If you send anything like shower gel make sure you wrap it in a plastic bag so if it breaks it doesn't leak on everything.

Tips: 

-Don't always worry about sending the best care package ever.  Things that you think are just fillers are sometimes the most appreciated.  Especially if you are going to send packages often, you don't need to break the bank on every one.

-I also make sure to write some type of hand written note in there, even if it's short. 

-I number my packages on the card or letter I write in them so that I can keep track of which ones he gets.  Then he can just tell me that he got package #2, and I can make sure none are missing. 

image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh and generally the best way to send care packages is with the large flat rate box.  It only costs $12.95 to ship to FPO AP addresses, and is priority mail.  
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • image marissa01:

DH will be deploying in the spring. Its still quite a bit away, but I like to be prepared.  Plus, I'm sure there are others with SOs deploying soon that could benifit from this info.  TIA!

-How often did you send/receive care packages? We are lucky and I was able to send a package every Monday with a deployer that left from base.  I sent them every week until H told me it was embarrassing lol

-What was the best item you sent/reveived in a care package? I sent H a mini USB Christmas tree from Target. He loved it but it was holiday specific.

-What item(s) did not ship well? Any other item(s) to avoid? H told me to avoid liquids, if you are sending through USPS they get cranky when you do.

-Any other helpful tips for those of us going through the first deployment? For those of us with infants? We don't have kids, but I have a girlfriend who's baby was born right before her H deployed. She sent her H a recordable book that she reads with the infant, and they skype when they can. H actually started crawling to the computer screen to his Dad on skype. Pretty awesome. Unfortunately, that's all I have besides stay busy :)

• H's first deployment I sent one every 3-4 weeks. It helps because he was gone during the holidays so it was MUCH easier to do a themed box. For Christmas I found these little $1 trees that lit up at target with some tiny ornaments. I also sent a stocking that had his presents in it. He loved that one. I always included 'decorations' for the holidays because it was something he could easily throw away without lugging too much back.

This last deployment, I slacked. A lot. It was hard for me to get ideas on what to send. I sent one package within 4 months. It was really difficult to come up with what to send because where he was at he had most of the stuff he needed/wanted. 

The one thing I would do is send at least one card a week. We talked all the time through IM or FB, but he said he really like getting an actual card. Even if it was just a "I'm thinking of you card".

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/15np005.jpg[/IMG]

3/?
  • -How often did you send/receive care packages? Probably once a month.  They were substantial packages, though.

-Did you send/receive anything other than care packages? How often? like, did I send hookers and blow?  He got packages, I think I got flowers once?  I honestly don't remember.

-What was the best item you sent/reveived in a care package? Funniest was a package of steak jerkey and bouquet of blowpops for steak and a bj day. Best was either his running watch or an awesome high tech shell.

-What item(s) did not ship well? Any other item(s) to avoid? Other than the forbidden, no rules.  H said the brownie bites from costco held up amazingly well.

-Any other helpful tips for those of us going through the first deployment? For those of us with infants? No kids.  Print package labels from home to save a dollar.  If you send anything baked, freeze it first so that it defrosts in the box.  That gives you an extra day.

• -How often did you send/receive care packages?

I sent H a box at the beginning of each month. 

Nope. 

-What was the best item you sent/reveived in a care package?

H really loved getting various magazines that helped keep him up to date on everything going on in the electronics world. 

Apparently a bag of Sour Patch Kids that was in a box I sent over the summer melted/congealed into a big lump sooo be careful about food items sent in hot temperatures.

-Any other helpful tips for those of us going through the first deployment? For those of us with infants?

This was H and my first deployment, and the best advice I can give you is the basic "stay busy!" The first few months I only had 1 PT job and spent a lot of time at home by myself sulking- it felt like time just dragged on. By the halfway mark I had 3 jobs and spent a lot of my remaining time with my family and time just flew by!

Also, give yourself something to look forward to. For me one big thing was Blizzcon at the 4 month mark. It was kind of a reward for my hard work and took my mind off the fact that it was still going to be a while until H got back. I also would make an appointment for a massage a few weeks in advance to get me through the month.

67/200
  • How often did you send/receive care packages?

I sent them usually once a week. Sometimes more sometimes less depending on what he was doing.  

His first deployment we only got to talk on the phone every week or so, so I sent letters almost everyday. The second one we got to talk much more so I didnt write them as often, only if I had something to "tell" him and I knew I wouldn't get a call for awhile.

-What was the best item you sent/reveived in a care package?

The funnest for me were the holiday themed ones. An example was for Easter I sent a basket full of eggs that I put candy in. But the basket was a little kids football one, and the eggs were camo eggs. Dh thought it was funny and he gave the eggs to kids over there. I guess they loved them.

Anything that doesn't do well in heat.

My first deployment was awful until I learned how to keep my mind and hands busy. Until I started planning our wedding I was so depressed, and it was horrible. But as soon as I started planning the wedding time flew by. The second one I gave myself goals, and I planned out what I needed to do to finish the goals. And I made them short term and long term. That way they wouldn't seem so far away. I haven't had DD during a deployment yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker