Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Korea

Got a question for ladies who have done Korea... 

MH and I are ready to get out of our current duty station. Pretty much the only way to do that is to go to Korea. But H will only go if DD and I go with him. After weighing the pros and cons, I've decided ok. IF we get the chance I'm not turning it down. So my questions is... Does anyone know about the pet policy?  I know, I know, it's a cart before the horse scenario but I can't help but think that part through. It's the only con for me :) 

So any advice/ knowledge/ opinions would be helpful. Thanks! 

Re: Korea

• I haven't been there, but Korea's government website says no quarantine is required if it's been more than 30 days since the dog had its rabies shot!  That's awesome news! 

http://www.nvrqs.go.kr/eng/rese_quarantine_02.asp?pageNumber=3-0 

I highly recommend looking in to a rabies titer even if Korea doesn't require it because heaven forbid you should be diverted, quarantine can be avoided in most countries if you've got proof of a positive rabies titer.  They're a couple hundred bucks (I most recently paid $110, which is an absolute steal, but in CA paid over $200) but oh-so-worth it to avoid quarantine, which you'd probably spend even more money on.

ETA: There are too many good links here to choose only a couple: http://www.osan.af.mil/search/generalsearch.asp?q=pets&btnG.x=11&btnG.y=6&site=Osan  The housing link says a total of two pets per family are authorized, if that was one of your questions.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image MrsOjoButtons:

I haven't been there, but Korea's government website says no quarantine is required if it's been more than 30 days since the dog had its rabies shot!  That's awesome news! 

http://www.nvrqs.go.kr/eng/rese_quarantine_02.asp?pageNumber=3-0 

I highly recommend looking in to a rabies titer even if Korea doesn't require it because heaven forbid you should be diverted, quarantine can be avoided in most countries if you've got proof of a positive rabies titer.  They're a couple hundred bucks (I most recently paid $110, which is an absolute steal, but in CA paid over $200) but oh-so-worth it to avoid quarantine, which you'd probably spend even more money on.

ETA: There are too many good links here to choose only a couple: http://www.osan.af.mil/search/generalsearch.asp?q=pets&btnG.x=11&btnG.y=6&site=Osan  The housing link says a total of two pets per family are authorized, if that was one of your questions.

Sweet deal! Much appreciated. And yeah, I'm in CA so I guess I'll start saving for the incidentals.  

• I went only for 6 months and was NCS with my own apt, so I can't talk to you about housing.  Plus it varies widely based on where you go.  For instance, where I was, it's an unaccompanied base, so there was no family housing.

I left my dog behind with a close friend since it was such a short time.  It wasn't Korea that was the problem as much as other countries we might have been sent to.  Many have a reduced quarantine program if you do the bloodwork early, but only if you're flying from the US (and other approved countries).  Korea is not approved, so, if we'd been sent to UK for instance she would have had to do the full quarantine there.  

Get a rabies titre as early as possible b/c quarantine countdown time (for places other than Korea) start when it's been processed.  It's a whole lot cheaper to get an unneeded test than it is to pay for quarantines.