Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dental- is it worth it?

Hey ya!

Who here as dental through TriCare? I'm looking at adding it for myself which would be around $11/mo (unknown if there is a deductible) and I'm wondering if it's worth it. After eating a ton of Christmas baked goodies I'm thinking I should get a cleaning and exam to make sure I don't have cavities. I also have 2 permanent retainers that should be checked out to make sure they are secure etc.  

Disclosure: I'm really bad about going to the dentist regularly but want to start being better about with the New Year coming up. 

Let me know your thoughts :) 

Re: Dental- is it worth it?

• It's definitely worth it.
  • It's through United Concordia, and I think it's worth it because I don't have any other dental.  The coverage depends on your sponsor's rank, but is roughly 40-50% of major work I think, and gives you 2 cleanings a year.  

I needed a crown on one tooth, and a root canal and a crown on another.  I maxed out my coverage between these 2 things, plus paid over $1k out of pocket as well.  I didn't even do the crown in the root canal tooth yet because I didn't want to pay more out of pocket.  However they were both necessary when I received them because of pain in one and a chipped tooth in the other, so I'm definitely glad I had the coverage.  Hopefully once I start teaching again I can get coverage through the school district too. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • imageKiller Cupcake:
    Having dental care is always worth it. Why wouldn't it be?

If there is a deductible and doesn't cover a lot I might as well pay for the cleaning OOP.  I have never had dental insurance and been just fine so that's why I'm asking.

• I get two cleanings a year and had a filling. Paying 200 dollars a year was well worth it when I only paid 14 dollars for the filling.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Yes, it is worth it. It's through United Concordia. I have never bothered with dental insurance (I worked as a nanny so I would have had to pay for it myself) either because the pros did not outweigh the cons. I just had a cleaning, x-rays, and 2 cavities filled a couple months ago and paid $70 OOP. 
    PersonalMilestone Anniversary
  • imageKiller Cupcake:
    imageshan87:

imageKiller Cupcake:
    Having dental care is always worth it. Why wouldn't it be?

If there is a deductible and doesn't cover a lot I might as well pay for the cleaning OOP.  I have never had dental insurance and been just fine so that's why I'm asking.

The cleanings are free.  

I get that. I did some rough numbers, and if all I need is cleaning it would be a little less than the insurance, but I think the extra is worth it JIC.

With me not working right now, I'm double checking all my expenses.

• Heck yes! Just one cleaning/check-up covers what you pay in a year.  I had one filling and the co-pay was $60, but I think that's because the dental office I went to was more expensive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Coverage isn't awesome, but it's still a ton cheaper than paying OOP.  

I just got screwed with their coverage of my implant, but even then, the amount they covered was far less than my year of premiums, and that's without counting in cleanings. 

• What's the yearly cap?
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • imageKiller Cupcake:

imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:
    What's the yearly cap?

Better tha I thought! 

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.